I have been invited to go hog hunting in Texas!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    It was totally unexpected. I am not much of a hunter but this is something I have dreamed about. I haven't said yes yet, but the wife has signed off on me going. I just need to see what the cost is going to be before I say yes but it looks promising.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If I was ever invited to an outing like that, I would ensure cost was not a factor by whatever means necessary.

Especially if my wife had already signed off on it...

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    The problem is I was told cost would be around $1000. But I need all new camo, boots, and I might have to buy a rifle since I don't have one powerful enough and I don't know if anyone has one I can borrow. Plus my truck is going to need a new battery and 2 new tires soon. Thats minimum of $350. I have about $150 so far. We leave December 26th.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The problem is I was told cost would be around $1000. But I need all new camo, boots, and I might have to buy a rifle since I don't have one powerful enough and I don't know if anyone has one I can borrow. Plus my truck is going to need a new battery and 2 new tires soon. Thats minimum of $350. I have about $150 so far. We leave December 26th.

Dude, December leave date: you can do it: Buy Christmas presents ASAP. Save all your money, sell all your excess stuff, do the drill...

And since I know your avatar is actually a pic of your wife***, (No. Nevermind, OkieGirl would render me ... well, you know.. :rolleyes: )

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL

Yikes...does that $1,000 fee also include $700 worth of dancing girls or something? Not to be a jackass but that's STEEP for a hog hunt. Check a couple thread back were I took a Florida hog. That was a $150 hunt and a couple hours from Disney world. You could do your first hog hunt, take 3 hogs and still have money to go see Mickey for less.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Yikes...does that $1,000 fee also include $700 worth of dancing girls or something? Not to be a jackass but that's STEEP for a hog hunt. Check a couple thread back were I took a Florida hog. That was a $150 hunt and a couple hours from Disney world. You could do your first hog hunt, take 3 hogs and still have money to go see Mickey for less.
    I think that's gas, food, hunting, and spending money. I thought it was a little steep but I haven't asked what all it covers yet.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Make sure you find out and if you're unsure, feel free to PM me. I've hunted these things all over and the most I paid was $450 in upstate NY for an imported European stock boar. I was a newb to hunting when I did this and didn't know what a high fence operation was and yes the NY deal was high fence. Very unsatisfying, btw - even wild boar unfenced are pretty easy to hunt. High fence on these things is ridiculous. Anyway, the reason I went into explaining that is because by comparison high fence hunts are almost always more expensive than unfenced fair chase and that was even $450.

Of course, like you say there could be things included in the package I don't know about.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    It was totally unexpected. I am not much of a hunter but this is something I have dreamed about. I haven't said yes yet, but the wife has signed off on me going. I just need to see what the cost is going to be before I say yes but it looks promising.

Make sure you know who you'll be traveling & hunting with. Know them REAL well. I went on a pheasant hunt to South Dakota last fall, the first thing on my bucket list, & it turned out to be less than I had expected. Too many type "A" personaltiies I guess. Anyway, it was cut short a couple days because the adults were acting like children. It was a great hunt while it lasted. Maybe Iowa next year, it's a lot closer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also check what arms are allowed where you are going. I checked into a couple of different hog hunts in Texas a few years back. One place said the AR10 (.308) was fine, the next said due to the terrain and close proximity to other properties, they will only use 12ga. with 00buck.

Hate to see you spend a chunk of chnge, and then not be able to use it.

Top Bottom