I have questions about bivy sacks and condensation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I'm getting my first bivy bag.
    I've read all the different review about bivys and condensation. But my question lies in the fact that some people complain about really bad condensation whilst others report no issues using the same bivy bag. I suppose it could be the difference in conditions in which reviewer was in at the time, but it leaves me confused.
    What can I honestly expect? Assuming that I'm here in Indiana, I don't climb into the sack soaking wet with sweat. (I'll most likely be wearing sleeping clothes long johns or what not.) Not sweating through out the night by using way to warm of a sleeping bag, and also not breathing into the bag. (probably with a tarp overhead so I can keep my whole head uncovered.
    Now, with all those qualifiers what can I honestly expect in the way of condensation? Please limit answers to people have first hand experience not hear say. (And the more experience the better.)
    EDIT looking for answers on what I could expect for different circumstances. For instants in spring time expect this, but in winter expect this etc.

Almost forgot, I purchased an REI Minimalistic bivy. I would like to use it with a down bag to further reduce weight, but perhaps I should stick to synthetic?
    Thanks in advance for everyone's advise.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom