• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    And I'm not sure what it is. I'm thinking it's AR plate???
    It's 36" x 24" x 3/4" and that bugger is heavy - Say 180+! We have shot everything from .22LR to 300Wby with no effects other than the typical splashing. However, you can see that there are seven or so holes completely through it. I suspect that they may be from 50BMG armor piercing. Do you guys thing that it is AR plate?

ar plate.png

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I doubt its ar plate, it will turn brown outside but not rust like that.
    It can be many things but I dont think its it ar400 -ar500, or any abrasive or hardened plate.
    Put a grinder disk or a sawzaw to it and i bet it will grind or cut easily.. Unlike ar plate.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Thanks guys..... I do have the typical Bass Pro purchased AR plate - and correct, the new stuff doesn't rust. I failed to mention that this plate is "antique", from the 1940's era.
    On another note, this plate was cut out using a cutting torch. As for the thickness -see below.

Annotation 2020-03-11 202748.png

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Thanks guys!
    So, Kokomo Dave, Wouldn't something like 460 Smith and Wesson, or the 300 Weatherby have a tendency to get into that steel and leave a bit of a crater? Reason I'm asking is that I've shot into the softer steels, and even with a 5.56 there was quite the crater. Sorry, not a metallurgist.
    Cheers!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Back in the day the metal might have been scrape steel from the war era or quite possibly be what millwrights (me) refer to as "boiler plate". It's plenty tough. One swipe of a gas axe and you can usually tell or spark test it using a handheld 4" grinder. There are charts and what not on the 'net.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Do a file test, use a mill bastard file, find a smooth spot, run a few passes.

Then do the same thing on piece of know mild steel, try to feel if there's any difference.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    WOW.... Thanks guys! I may have to do that test. So..... given that this stuff holds up to typical sub 50 cal rifles, Think it's worth anything???

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    Stay back a least 200 yards shooting that thing.I saw a guy on youtube shooting steel with a barret and the round came back hit his hearing protection.
    could have been allot worse.Nothing like the sound of steel when you hit it.

Top Bottom