• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    For the past couple of months, I have wanted to start reloading. I have been slowly picking up a piece of equipment here and there, but this morning I finally decided to go all in. I went ahead and ordered everything I think I needed to get started, and with any luck, it will all be here by the middle of next week.

The very first thing I bought was the Lyman manual. I've read it once, and am going through it again. I have an understanding of the basic concepts of reloading, but I have questions that manual isn't answering. Earlier this week, I ordered the ABC's of Reloading. I'm hopeful that book is really geared towards the novice and takes me from step one through the end process. In my opinion, while the Lyman manual isn't overcomplicated, it really isn't geared for someone with zero knowledge that needs every possible bit of information.

My goal is to at least have a few rounds worked up by the end of next weekend. I'll either be on here patting myself on the back, or singing the blues. :):

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Congratulations on the new hobby!

It was very helpful to me to have an experienced reloader take me through the process a couple of times. This way I could put my hands on the equipment and see how all the components come together. It demystified many things for me.

I took a reloading class with INGO member aszerigan up in Indianapolis. You can PM him to see if those are still being offered.

Otherwise, I suggest you meet up with some other INGO reloader and get an introductory session. It really helped me make sense of the whole process! :)

If you're starting with a single stage press, then have someone show you the process on a single stage. If you can, it's also fun to see someone's progressive press set-up. That way you'll know what you are headed toward in your future! :D

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I recently ordered those same two books. Chevalier's ABC's of Reloading was very helpful for me. I'm just waiting on a tumbler I ordered and the time needed to get my bench built. I'm headed out tomorrow to get primers and powder.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Congratulations on the new hobby!

It was very helpful to me to have an experienced reloader take me through the process a couple of times. This way I could put my hands on the equipment and see how all the components come together. It demystified many things for me.

I took a reloading class with INGO member aszerigan up in Indianapolis. You can PM him to see if those are still being offered.

Otherwise, I suggest you meet up with some other INGO reloader and get an introductory session. It really helped me make sense of the whole process! :)

If you're starting with a single stage press, then have someone show you the process on a single stage. If you can, it's also fun to see someone's progressive press set-up. That way you'll know what you are headed toward in your future! :D

I am definately going to try and get with someone that is experienced in reloading. It would certainly make my journey a little easier.

As for my equipment, I didn't break the bank as far as cost goes, but I didn't take the el-cheapo route either. In my opinion, I bought middle of the pack equipment that can hold me for a while when/if I decide to take my new hobby to the next level.

I can't wait for my order to get here next week. By then I'll have read both my books and should be ready to give it a go. There's a ton of experienced people on here more than willing to share their knowledge, so I look forward to interacting with them!

Top Bottom