• ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Man, what a blast!

We have some neighbors ( who are in their late 60's) from Cook Cty, IL that own a weekend/vacation house close to us who happen to be down for a week or two. Yesterday, we were speaking with Sandee about various things and I asked her if our shooting ever bothered her. She replied that it didn't and that she had never shot a firearm before, so I invited her over.

Today, she was indoctrinated!!!:rockwoot:

We started her off with a P22 and a 45% IPSC steel target (courtesy of Bobcat Steel) at 7 yards.
    Moving up, she shot a .380 and my Fiance's XD9SC. All with that constant "Wow, this is fun" look on her face.
    When I saw that she wanted more, I put a Mossy 500 20 gauge in her hands and she handled that well too.
    A 100 yard walk back up the hill and we let her try my Marlin 795 and 10/22.
    "More, more" was the look I saw in her eyes, so I installed the .22lr BCG in my AR and let her loose on the Steel. :ar15:
    To cap it off for her, I switched the AR back to the 5.56 BCG and handed her a 30 Rd mag.
    I don't think I've seen someone smile so much in my life!

I just love teaching new shooters about guns!! It is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had the pleasure of taking part. :rockwoot:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :rockwoot::rockwoot: Great job! :yesway: Helping get new shooters started is my favorite part of shooting. Love seeing their faces as they realize how much fun it is.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    No better feeling than to help a new shooter get started. I work with 4-h shooting sports, hunter safety, pheasants forever youth hunts. The youth is our future shooters.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Helping new shooters is a lot of fun. It's one of the reasons I am looking into getting my NRA instructors certification. There is a lot of personal satisfaction in teaching someone someting that you are passionate about. Weather its shooting, fishing, or hunting, the best thing you can do for the sport it pass it along.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    While I still consider myself a new shooter, When I took my wife out to the range today, I had more fun dealing with the guns and watching her face and reaction when she hit what she was aiming for than I did shooting myself!

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    Does anyone know how to get to be an NRA instructor? I enjoy teaching as well (was a college professor for years before my current job) and would love to start teaching firearm safety and handling.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Does anyone know how to get to be an NRA instructor? I enjoy teaching as well (was a college professor for years before my current job) and would love to start teaching firearm safety and handling.

There is a thread on here with an instructors class. I'm going to be out of town the weekend it is going on or I would be there. Look it up in Tactics and Training forum. I would link to it if I knew how.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    While I still consider myself a new shooter, When I took my wife out to the range today, I had more fun dealing with the guns and watching her face and reaction when she hit what she was aiming for than I did shooting myself!

Yep! Its great to see the look on their faces when they hear that steel ring the first time. Addicting!

Top Bottom