• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I just purchased (new to me) an STI race gun in 38 Super. Only problem is my local gun shop (Elmore's) only had in stock Federal AE 115gr ammo. Which is far too light of a load to run my gun..... Anyone have a good line on some 130gr +P Federal, or Aguila?
    I am dying to get some this week and be ready for Friday Night Steel....

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Check with Andrew at Profire.... I don't know if he loads Super or not. You might also check the Outdoorsman a little farther down 135 from Elmore's....but their prices are on the high side.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Believe it or not they actually have 38 super ammo at gander mt or at least they di last time I looked.Im not sure of what grain wgt they carry but you should probably look into reloading. I have been shooting supers for 15 years now and learned very early on that I would be broke all the time trying to feed my super.If you cant find anything in the next couple of days let me know I could probably load some for you.

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    Believe it or not they actually have 38 super ammo at gander mt or at least they di last time I looked.Im not sure of what grain wgt they carry but you should probably look into reloading. I have been shooting supers for 15 years now and learned very early on that I would be broke all the time trying to feed my super.If you cant find anything in the next couple of days let me know I could probably load some for you.

I hate to pay Gander prices...... :xmad:

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    If you have a open gun should work with factory ammo, the comp won't do any good....should look into a press or have andrew at profire hook you up!!!

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    If you have a open gun should work with factory ammo, the comp won't do any good....should look into a press or have andrew at profire hook you up!!!

Will be a while before I can set up a press. STI built these to run hot loads... I am hoping factory 130gr will run..... but the target/light loaded 115gr was a FTE half the time..... Just not pushing the slide with enough umph....

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Andrew is for sure your best bet, but you're going to need to start reloading here eventually if you want to feed that thing a steady diet of 38 Super...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just purchased (new to me) an STI race gun in 38 Super. Only problem is my local gun shop (Elmore's) only had in stock Federal AE 115gr ammo. Which is far too light of a load to run my gun..... Anyone have a good line on some 130gr +P Federal, or Aguila?
    I am dying to get some this week and be ready for Friday Night Steel....
    The Indy 1500, is this weekend, if you don't find any by then, try the show ...

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As per our conversation, no one is going to stock Major PF ammo. That's a custom job. I gotcha covered.

Atlanta Arms and Ammo does or at least stock major PF 38 Super (same load the AMU pistol team shoots).

Going local will be your best bet if you can't load your own. Read through the 9mm/38 reloading section at brianenos.com to see what others use. Jeff Maass also has a long list of 38 Super loads.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Gun will run best on Major power factor loads, comp will work better. But just going to a lighter recoil spring will work. I would call STI ( if it is a factory built gun) and ask what spring they use stock and ask what they recommend for factory loads. If the gun has a comp and shortened slide (4.25 to 4.5 inch) you are probably looking at a 8 or 9 pound spring for the lighter loads.
    IMHO you don't want or need to shoot major loads at steel.

Top Bottom