I need a barrel extension blind pinned and tig welded? Who can you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I have a barrel extension to add to my GSG-5 pistol to make the barrel length over 16 " long. The extension screws into the Front Sight Base just like the original flash hider did on this model.

I need the person to ,
    1.) Drill through the FSB and extension and into the barrel about 3/32 inch .
    2) Pin the barrel through the hole
    3) Tig weld the pin
    Leave the surface where I can finish filling it in and sand and paint. Can someone recommned a gunsmith or has someone had this done and can recommend whoever did it?

The pin must be silver soldered or welded in place and I have been told that since the pin is passing through aluminum that a TIG weld on the pin is the only way to go. The aluminum could get too hot and melt before the solder is done.
    If it must be Tig welded, what would it cost and who?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Do most gunsmiths have an hourly rate or by the job or does it just depend on the gunsmith?

louielouie

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i would do the drilling myself ie. mark the flashhider on the bottom, take flash hider off and drill your hole, after that put your flash hider back on and then through the hole on your flash hider drill your barrel and then put your pin in it and then go to an automotive shop or a machine shop and ask them if they can weld the spot where the pin is, and it should cost no more than 10 bucks. if you lived up here i could help you out. if you do the drilling yourself be sure to use a drill press and not a hand drill it helps from marring up the finish

Slade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Evansvile
    So you are going to have a pistol length barrel with a permanently attached fake suppressor? Seems like it would be better to install a 16" factory barrel with the shroud on it. Barrel would cost you $80.00.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Marc,
    I did drill the FSB and it turned out alright.
    I even tapped the hole and used a 6/32 set screw in it.
    Today I hope to get to a gunsmith to see if they will finish it.
    I have a drill press, but I have messed up more jobs trying to use it than with my hand drill. I don't feel comfortable drilling into my rifle barrel with it.

Slade,

I had a barrel extension made just for my pistol. The person making it did a super job and the O.D. is only .75 inch. He used a .30 cal. barrel to make the extension and it screws right into the FSB like the hider did.

The reasons I did not go with the 16 inch barrel?
    1) I did not have $80 I wanted to spend on another barrel. I got the extension by trading a bayonet to the guy who made it for me.

2) Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the 16 inch barrel have an O.D. of approx. 1/2 inch (beginning at the FSB and continuing to the muzzle)? 1/2 inch looks "anemic" for a rifle barrel.

3) The replacement barrel shroud the factory came up with for the GSG-5
    has too large a diameter (making it look bad).

thanks,
    louielouie

Top Bottom