• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I decided to buy an older, full size Ford Bronco, and to make room, I'm selling my F150 to my oldest boy. Problem is, it's a stick, he's never driven one, so I'm teaching him how. Day one of lessons is over! Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Dirt roads and 100 starts with shifts to second then stop. Throw in some STOP yells along the way to get him using both feet for the stop. Pretty much after that it's just going to come with practice..

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    if it is 4 wheel drive teach him how in low range first in a parking lot or gravel drive easy way to learn how to use a clutch

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    He actually did pretty good. He was a little discouraged at first, but after a few times taking off from a dead stop, he gained some confidence. I learned to drive in a 68 Chevy pick up with a 3 speed on the column, and had nobody to show me what to do, so I figger he's way ahead of the game already.:yesway: But that first few attempts was pretty nerve racking.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I am in the same boat. I am trying to teach my 19 year old how to drive my blazer, to get him out of my wifes car. One he gets rolling he is fine, it's just that initial take of and stop that gets him

I will pray for your sanity (and clutch) if you pray for mine.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    I decided to buy an older, full size Ford Bronco, and to make room, I'm selling my F150 to my oldest boy. Problem is, it's a stick, he's never driven one, so I'm teaching him how. Day one of lessons is over! Wish me luck!

Beer? Nah man, you and the kid both need to knock back four or five Jack & Cokes. You'll relax, and the boy won't be so nervous.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Should have taught him the way my dad taught me. He ask if I know where the gears are and how to use the clutch, I said yes and he handed me the keys and said good luck you are on your own.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I tried to teach my girlfriend (now wife) on a v8 mustang with loud exhaust. Needless to say, we (she) made a bunch of noise before it was all over. We still laugh about that day.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    My parents married around 18 and my mom had no clue how to drive. My dad told my mom that if she wanted to ever get married, she would have to get her license. All he had at the time was an old stickshift for her to drive. A few weeks later and they were getting married.

If I remember the rest of the story that car didn't last too much longer after that... I think it died of other issues

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Y'all ever tried "Abita" ?

A brew out of Louisiana.

~TK

Great beer. Turbo Dog is a little too hoppey for me, but like the amber, and the purple haze is a neat variant.

RE: driving the stick...good luck with that. I learned when I was 12 or 13 on Dad's '79 Fairmont that had a 4 on the floor. I didn't really ever ride the clutch to the point of burning it up. Usually I was on the other end and popped it and either stalled, or ended up with a really herky jerky up shift to 2nd.

Hope all goes well and in the end the clutch is still intact and operating correctly.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom