• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    I need to find a new smoker/grill, I can't afford a BGE. I have looked at the Akorn, Char Griller and just a Weber Performer Series grill. I want to be able to grill and smoke on the same unit.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    If you're only wanting to do a couple rack of ribs or one butt, a Weber would be my best advice. In my experience, the Char-Griller type smoker/grills aren't very efficient, and don't do either very well without modifications.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I've been working from a small budget for my outdoor cooking as well. No BGE's to be found on my deck.

I picked up a Weber Performer at a yard sale last year. It is a fantastic grill. Any Weber kettle is, really.

It also does a great job smoking small amounts of meat, if you use the right techniques.

I also built a drum smoker, which is similar to a Weber smokey mountain, but cheaper and better: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/300269-ugly-drum-smoker.html

I use my Weber kettles when I'm grilling or smoking just for the four of us. I use the smoker for larger get-togethers or when I'm doing ribs or pork butts.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    If you're only wanting to do a couple rack of ribs or one butt, a Weber would be my best advice. In my experience, the Char-Griller type smoker/grills aren't very efficient, and don't do either very well without modifications.
    I agree with Hex. I'm in the same boat as the OP and currently have a Char-Griller horizontal offset that is modified.
    1. They are cheaply made and is showing its age at only 3 years old.
    2. With my mods, it is better, but still not terribly efficient.

I would rather buy something more efficient next time. I am not sure what, but have been looking at the Weber Rocky Mountain Smoker. I have also been considering going propane for less hassle and would consider electric if I had indoor storage.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd go for a 26.75", that'll give you room for a brisket or ribs without too much trouble. Temps kind of depend on how well it'll seal up. The one I sold to Bunnykid sealed up really well and I could hold 250* easily, the one I have now doesn't seal as well so it's a little more difficult to hold the temps down. In all fairness though, they get better with time especially if you use them for low & slow smoking. The fats tend to work their way onto the inner surfaces and they seal up better. I never cleaned mine other than scraping off the grates and I haven't used the new one for smoking since I had a BGE also.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We've been using a char-griller duo for two years now. We've made a few of the common internet mods to it and have been fairly successful. I've actually had quite a bit of fun working thru the deficiencies and improving its "smokability".

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Have you looked at Traegers? I got a buddy that has 2, Im buying 1, as I like how simple they are...

Might have to squeeze out a few more pennies, but dang are they nice.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    :whistle:

407791640.jpg

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Digital Bradley, you'll thank me later.

The 4 rack fits your price range and the 6 is just above it. I have 1 of the pre-digital models and 2 digital 6 racks. There are 50 things I'd rather do than tend a smoke box, thus wouldn't go back to anything that wasn't 'set and forget'.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    You can go kamado style and get an Akorn. Like a green egg but steel. Very happy with mine at $260 from Menards. Can do low and slow or 700 degrees sears. Very fuel efficient. Have about 75 hours into one bag of charcoal with a 1/4 still left.

Top Bottom