• unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Hello Ladies and Gents.

I have a question for everyone.

Until I moved to Hammond 2 months ago, I lived in Chicago my whole life.
    As you can imagine, there is a certain stigma in regards to guns in the windy city. I pretty much knew that if I was ever involved in a self defense shooting, I would have to deal with an anti-gun prosecutor and probably spend thousands defending myself and justifying whatever happened to go down. I did my best to arm myself with knowledge of ordinances and case law (to the point that I now have a degree in criminal law). Now that I live in IN I feel a bit lost when it comes to this. My question is in regards to the disposition of police and prosecutors when it comes to pursuing convictions. What can I expect to happen in a self defense shooting situation? For example, in IL, I made plans to be fully prepared to be arrested, booked and sit through years of courtroom headaches; should I expect the same in IN? More? Less?

I concede to the wisdom of INGO for this knowledge.

Thanks
    Pilot

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You may still be taken into custody but as long as it was a good self defense claim, you SHOULD be ok. It is always a good idea tk have a 2nd Amendment attorney available. Talk to him ahead of time so if you do need his services, you are not strangers. In this meeting with him, he can explain what will most likely happen. Guy Relford is a member of INGO. He's an attorney that deals with a lot of 2A cases. He works with Tactical Firearms Training in Indy

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    prepare for the worst, hope for the best...

I've only been in IN for about 6 yrs, but it seems that if the police/witnesses/etc can validate that it was a justified self-defense shooting, the shooter is generally not even booked. (then again, there are certainly cases where he/she is booked until this can be determined). Unless there's extenuating circumstances, it should only ruin your day or week, not your entire life.*

* I'm not making light of the situation of having to kill someone. That would probably mess with any moral/decent person. I'm talking about the legalitites -- booking, interviews, bail, lawyers, anti-self-defense DA, etc.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You may still be taken into custody but as long as it was a good self defense claim, you SHOULD be ok. It is always a good idea tk have a 2nd Amendment attorney available. Talk to him ahead of time so if you do need his services, you are not strangers. In this meeting with him, he can explain what will most likely happen. Guy Relford is a member of INGO. He's an attorney that deals with a lot of 2A cases. He works with Tactical Firearms Training in Indy

Agreed. You even got the name of a local lawyer.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Jail isn't so bad, it's prison you want to avoid. ;)

Don't answer questions until you have a chance to speak to an attorney and gather your thoughts. This is what police officers typically do when involved in a shooting, so they should understand why. The "facts" may not be as you remember them immediately following a defensive use of force.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    In all the rhetoric of this issue, at the end of the day you are ending a life. Someone's son, daughter, husband or wife will never be seen again. Killing someone is a huge responsibility not to be taken lightly.

While Indiana has more freedom than illinois, please be as careful as ever to use lethal force only as a last resort.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Thanks for the info guys!

I guess i should have clarified, I'm not talking about the mental and emotional repercussions of having to shoot someone, I'm wondering about the legal and financial aspect.
    There were multiple cases in Chicago where, even if the shoot was justified, the person still had to spend thousands to get their gun back, or not have a revocation of their FOID.
    Then there's a few people I've talked to that have had the CPD hassle them to try and get a disqualifier for the FOID. These are the things I prepared myself for by learning what to say to the police and when to say it; Teaching my family about their rights and the value of OPSEC, and many other things. While I know these are good things to practice in general; but do I need to be as paranoid about it in IN?

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Does Guy Relford only work in the Indy area? I'm in south west part of the state. Is there a 2a attorney in my area? Is there access to this info for other areas of the state on file in INGO somewhere?

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    In all the rhetoric of this issue, at the end of the day you are ending a life. Someone's son, daughter, husband or wife will never be seen again. Killing someone is a huge responsibility not to be taken lightly.

While Indiana has more freedom than illinois, please be as careful as ever to use lethal force only as a last resort.

This

In my 5+ decades on this earth I have traveled far and wide across the globe and been in places nuns wouldn't even go, not by choice however. Not once have I had to defend myself. The best way to avoid a "self defense" shooting scenario is to just avoid the situation in the first place. Know how to read people, their non verbal cues; know how to carry yourself, where to sit in public and confined areas (stadiums, parks, trains, buses, etc..), use common sense when walking or driving through marginal areas or better yet choose an alternate route. I know, sometimes trouble just finds you but you are more likely to get T-boned driving home from work.

Top Bottom