• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ronn1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Dearborn County, IN
    I have recently decided that I want to be a gunsmith, but I am not sure how to go about achieving that goal.
    I have looked at online courses (Penn Foster and others), AGI, and tried to find a trade shcool nearby but to no avail.
    If there any smithys out there I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Not only will you need some formal training, you'll need to apprentice underneath someone, and then when you step out on your own you'll need a federal firearms license.

Unless you build a name for yourself with something unique or extremely high quality work, you're going to have a long hard road ahead while you establish yourself. It's not the kind of career you can rely on feeding your family with when you're getting started. Most have day jobs, too.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I have recently decided that I want to be a gunsmith, but I am not sure how to go about achieving that goal.
    I have looked at online courses (Penn Foster and others), AGI, and tried to find a trade shcool nearby but to no avail.
    If there any smithys out there I would really appreciate your advice on this.
    You to aye? Looks interesting doesn't it.
    The best of luck with it.:yesway:

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    IMO, I looked into getting into the business, I decided against it. You'll have to take classes, or work under someone. Its hard to find someone to teach you, why would anyone create competition for themselves? The dealbreaker for me was tooling for everything, and of course the long hard road of staying in business.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    IMO, I looked into getting into the business, I decided against it. You'll have to take classes, or work under someone. Its hard to find someone to teach you, why would anyone create competition for themselves? The dealbreaker for me was tooling for everything, and of course the long hard road of staying in business.
    Part time on your own wouldn't be bad. People are competitive no matter what you do.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'd only do it if you're going to open a gun store/range and the make the gunsmithing secondary.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You will need some deep pockets as well...machines such as a lathe and a mill aren't cheap. Plus a high quality drill press, plus tools. I know a couple guys who went to Trinity, they work in machine shops now. Very, very hard profession to break into without a day job to pay the rent.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Liability [sp] is a real problem..Case point: A smith in Wabash, built a rifle for a customer.
    Upon receiving it the customer was running some live rounds through the magazine {dumb in itself}. Managed to fire one into the powder magazine in his gun room burning down his house. He took full responsibility and refused to involve the builder, so his home owners insurance carrier sued the smith. After a long legal battle he was absolved of all charges, but not without paying hefty legal fees........:@ya:...Duce<><

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You will need some deep pockets as well...machines such as a lathe and a mill aren't cheap. Plus a high quality drill press, plus tools. I know a couple guys who went to Trinity, they work in machine shops now. Very, very hard profession to break into without a day job to pay the rent.

What would you do with a drill press if you had a mill?

Top Bottom