• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    I live in Plainfield IN and would like to become an instructor. Where is a good source for this training in or around the Indianapolis area? I've looked at the NRA site and a few local places but haven't made sense of it yet. Hopefully someone can steer me in a more direct path to training. Would love some options from other members.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    No offense to NRA guys, however I am curious as to why you wish to become one when they are "a dime a dozen" in the area?? I'm NRA certified as well, also finishing a Bachelor's degree in Oganizational Leadership specializing in training (amongst others) and I think the NRA did a good job in laying out a good curriculum in their Basics courses, but again if your intentions are to make a solid income from it I think you will find it to be a great challenge in the given area with limited shooting facilities and the number of other NRA guys around?!?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I hope to offer another instructor course this summer. Which discipline were you wanting to get certified to teach?
    For those interested, which discpilines can you teach? I viewed your website and according to it you can only offer Basic Pistol Instructor? Unless I missed something somewhere. Also, prices for the instructor courses are not listed?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No offense to NRA guys, however I am curious as to why you wish to become one when they are "a dime a dozen" in the area?? I'm NRA certified as well, also finishing a Bachelor's degree in Oganizational Leadership specializing in training (amongst others) and I think the NRA did a good job in laying out a good curriculum in their Basics courses, but again if your intentions are to make a solid income from it I think you will find it to be a great challenge in the given area with limited shooting facilities and the number of other NRA guys around?!?

Well for me it is not about making a "Solid Income". To be very upfront and honest I have a good job. I just enjoy interacting with newer shooters and helping encourage their interest in recreational shooting. I am not a political activist or open carrier so consider this to be my contribution to our cause. In order to do this I feel that I should have some sort of certification and carry liability insurance. As far as actually making money is concerned I am perfectly happy if I cover my costs, insurance, & fuel. If I make a little extra for ammo then great!

As a side note I do keep accurate accounting records and will report any income to the IRS so I can pay my taxes. I will share that it cost me about $60 a person to teach an NRA Basic course. That cost would be even more if I had to maintain some of the excellent facilities that some of the Indianapolis based trainers are using. That also does not include things like advertising, video projectors or SIRT guns. So at $75 - $130 a person for an NRA class, nobody is getting rich.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well for me it is not about making a "Solid Income". To be very upfront and honest I have a good job. I just enjoy interacting with newer shooters and helping encourage their interest in recreational shooting. I am not a political activist or open carrier so consider this to be my contribution to our cause. In order to do this I feel that I should have some sort of certification and carry liability insurance. As far as actually making money is concerned I am perfectly happy if I cover my costs, insurance, & fuel. If I make a little extra for ammo then great!

As a side note I do keep accurate accounting records and will report any income to the IRS so I can pay my taxes. I will share that it cost me about $60 a person to teach an NRA Basic course. That cost would be even more if I had to maintain some of the excellent facilities that some of the Indianapolis based trainers are using. That also does not include things like advertising, video projectors or SIRT guns. So at $75 - $130 a person for an NRA class, nobody is getting rich.

Agreed, and I think a lot of what you said reflects that of a majority of NRA guys including myself. I come across people who have some interest in firearms, no experience, and/or even a fear of firearms ALL the time. Also, get into conversations with a LOT of people who are filled with lies and misinformation. I organize public firearms educational events and and so being able to show I'm NRA certified gives me a level of "clout" with these people that shows them I know what Im talking about rather than simply saying "20+ years of experience, etc." I was simply asking the OP because I see some guys that get into teaching for the wrong reasons and I dont want to see someone try to make a legit career out of it based on misconceptions from media, etc.

Last edited:

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    Being that I'm coming up on retirement when i'm 55 :rockwoot:(2 more years) i'm looking for something that I would enjoy at that time. Don't care if I never make a dime doing it, teaching people to be safe and responsible around firearms is good enough for me. I'm one of the few that don't feel the need to make a buck on everything I do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed, and I think a lot of what you said reflects that of a majoritg of NRA guys includinh myself. I come across people who have some interest in firearms, no experience, and/or even a fear of firearms ALL the time. Also, get into conversations with a LOT of people who are filled with lies and misinformation. I organize public firearms educational events and and so being able to show im NRA certified gives me a level of "clout" with these people that shows them I know what Im talking about rather than simply saying "20+ years of experience, etc." I was simply asking the OP because I see some guys that get into teaching for the wrong reasons and I dont want to see someone try to make a legit career out of it based on misconceptions from media, etc.

You are correct. It is about showing other people that responsible individuals can own and carry guns. It is acceptable and legitimate. The NRA certification looks responsible to a lot of people.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    For those interested, which discpilines can you teach? I viewed your website and according to it you can only offer Basic Pistol Instructor? Unless I missed something somewhere. Also, prices for the instructor courses are not listed?

I offer the pistol discipline (Basic Pistol, First Steps) and Home Firearm Safety instructor certs, and Chief Range Safety Officer courses, which allows you to train RSO's. Working on Rifle. Cost is $225 for Pistol and Basic Instructor Training. (BIT)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For me My purpose would be to gain additional knowledge and become a more valuable member to my club. That way I could become a more active Volunteer most clubs need qualified volunteers. All I need now is an income to pay for the Courses!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Okay guys & gals.... Ask and ye shall receive!

The next NRA Pistol Instructor Course will be May 19th & 20th. All day, both days. I'll announce it later today.

Top Bottom