• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    I am looking for recommendations on what guns you all would purchase for 3 gun shoots, or just competition shoots in general.

I'd like 2 or 3 recommendations in different price ranges for each: Rifle, Shotgun, and Pistol/Revolver. Thanks!

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    If you're just looking to get started, run what you have (or fill in the gaps) before buying all new. For 3-gun specifically, come out to a match and watch how things are done. It's going to be very difficult to determine what you need/want unless you have a little experience. It's way too easy to spend a lot of money & then find out you don't like your shiny new gear the first match you go to.

A lot will depend on your personal preferences, so I'll list what I would be going after were I to be starting over with what I know now. This is for 3-gun specifically, though the pistol category would also apply to USPSA. The would would also change significantly depending on your chosen division, the recommendations below would be for Tactical Optics, by far the most popular division at our local matches. Also you'll eventually want a lot of additional gear beyond the guns, so make sure you account for that as well. Don't burn all your money on the guns and then be reloading from your pockets. :D

Pistol
    High end: 2011 in 9mm (too many options to name, just do your research)
    Lower end: Striker fired 9mm (M&P, Glock 34/17, etc.) of your preference

Shotgun:
    High End: Benelli M2
    Lower end: Stoeger M3000

Rifle:
    High End: purpose-built AR for competition w/ 1-6 variable scope (custom, or there are numerous companies offering off-the-shelf 3-gun ready rifles in lots of price ranges)
    Lower end: any reliable AR w/ a red dot or irons

VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    If you're just looking to get started, run what you have (or fill in the gaps) before buying all new. For 3-gun specifically, come out to a match and watch how things are done. It's going to be very difficult to determine what you need/want unless you have a little experience. It's way too easy to spend a lot of money & then find out you don't like your shiny new gear the first match you go to.

A lot will depend on your personal preferences, so I'll list what I would be going after were I to be starting over with what I know now. This is for 3-gun specifically, though the pistol category would also apply to USPSA. The would would also change significantly depending on your chosen division, the recommendations below would be for Tactical Optics, by far the most popular division at our local matches. Also you'll eventually want a lot of additional gear beyond the guns, so make sure you account for that as well. Don't burn all your money on the guns and then be reloading from your pockets. :D

Pistol
    High end: 2011 in 9mm (too many options to name, just do your research)
    Lower end: Striker fired 9mm (M&P, Glock 34/17, etc.) of your preference

Shotgun:
    High End: Benelli M2
    Lower end: Stoeger M3000

Rifle:
    High End: purpose-built AR for competition w/ 1-6 variable scope (custom, or there are numerous companies offering off-the-shelf 3-gun ready rifles in lots of price ranges)
    Lower end: any reliable AR w/ a red dot or irons

Thanks! This is exactly what i'm looking for.

mildot1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Mattoon, IL
    To each his own but I don't agree with the 2011 in 9mm. Why not a .40 with 155 grn pew pew loads? I think it is a much more versatile gun as changing ammo will get you right back in USPSA lim or lim 10 Major PF.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    To each his own but I don't agree with the 2011 in 9mm. Why not a .40 with 155 grn pew pew loads? I think it is a much more versatile gun as changing ammo will get you right back in USPSA lim or lim 10 Major PF.
    As long as you're a confident reloader and sure the gun will run well with both loads, I'd say go for it. From a beginner's standpoint, I'd say that's pretty intimidating. JMO. You could also buy a .40 Glock or M&P & run a 9mm conversion barrel for 3-gun.

Honestly, for any beginner in either sport, I'd recommend a striker-fired gun unless that person has experience with 1911/2011 style pistols. With all the modifications available for polymer pistols, it'll take years for someone to out-run a well set-up Glock/M&P/whatever even if that person has firearms experience. Again, JMHO.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    FWIW from a relative newb to 3-gun, go to a match and see what guys are running. Most guys will offer advice and recommendations if you ask. If you are starting completely from scratch, you should expect to spend a minimum of $2000-2500 to get everything you need. I use my Glock 23 because it's what I have. If I were to buy another pistol for competition, I would go with a full frame style, not a compact. On rifle, I'm using a Colt 6920 Magpul with a 1.5-6x optic. On shotgun, I chose the Mossberg 930 JM Pro 9+1, mainly due to the value at the price point. So far, my equipment has 100% reliability through 4 matches and many practice sessions. Don't forget to leave some room for a belt and mag pouches, holster, etc. Make sure the holster you choose has decent retention, because you will be running, squatting, laying prone, etc. during these matches. You don't want to cause a safety issue or take a DQ because your pistol falls out of the holster. I use a Fobus paddle-type dual mag pouch for my pistol mags, along with an AP customs 4x4 shell holder for shotgun. I attach these all to my standard leather belt I wear everywhere, which is a high-quality thick leather gun belt. I pocket carry spare AR mags for now, but am looking for a better way that I can use on the belt I have. Most guys have a dedicated competition belt system with everything they need, and that is the better way to go for sure but I enjoy the matches running what I've got. I also have a TACCOM 12-up chest rig for shotgun shells, which makes reloading shotgun very quick using the stronghand "dropping deuces" method. Just started experimenting with that technique, and I love it.

You will need to have the ability to move your firearms/ammo from one stage to another. I use soft cases for my long guns. Some have a pull-cart or wagon. Most guys have a large-wheeled "baby stroller" that's been modified to carry their long guns. You will also need empty chamber indicators, which have been available to borrow or purchase at all matches I have gone to thus far. These are required for safety. Any long gun not in the hands of a shooter or prepped for a stage (under the direction of an RO) must have a chamber flag installed at all times.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom