• ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys. So I am considering doing my first NFA build and here is my idea:

I want an SBR really bad, but I also want a suppressor. What I would like to do is build an SBR with as short of a barrel as I can get, but weld a permanant suppressor that would make it a 16" that way I would only have to do one tax stamp. My question is what kind or which brands of supressors should I look at or what would the best way to go about this? This will be a 5.56/223 AR. Has anybody ever seen anything like this done before or have any suggestions for me?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    You really don't want an integral suppressor, especially in 5.56.

You're talking about building an AR and buying a can, neither of which are inexpensive propositions. So what's another $200 for an additional tax stamp, in the grand scheme? Save up and do it right.

My :twocents:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    You may be saving the $200 now, but it will bite you in the ass later. Spend the extra $200 to get an extra stamp. Later on you might want to suppress another gun, which means you now have to buy another suppressor AND another tax stamp. Similarly you might want to change the caliber of your AR to something like 300 BLK, but now you either have to do the same setup again (which is less than ideal) or you have to pay for another tax stamp if you want to keep it an SBR.

So my recommendation is to get the suppressor started first. If you cant afford the second stamp, use the suppressor on a 16" gun or on a pistol built gun. In a few months you can get the second stamp started and enjoy both items separately or together. $200 is not a lot of money in this hobby, and like most things in life, spend the money up front to save money down the road.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Am I the only one who thinks suppressing 5.56 is meh? I think there are much better calibers to suppress. I say do what you want, but you should want to do what the posts above mine recommend.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Am I the only one who thinks suppressing 5.56 is meh? I think there are much better calibers to suppress. I say do what you want, but you should want to do what the posts above mine recommend.
    I'm with you. Suppressing 5.56 is "meh"... bought a thread adapter to put my .30 cal can on my 5.56 rifle and I couldn't even tell you where that thread adapter is today... its nearly pointless to try to suppress a 5.56/.223 IMHO

I also agree with the other guys. You're talking about an AR-15 SBR at $1k +$200 tax + $30 engraving, plus a suppressor at $1k +$200 tax = ~$2430 or you're looking at AR-15 rifle at $1k plus suppressor at $1k +$200 tax + $100 weld/pin job = ~$2300 to have a $1,000 suppressor permanently married to a single barrel that has very little versatility. Is the ~$130 in money savings really worth it?

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I'm with you. Suppressing 5.56 is "meh"... bought a thread adapter to put my .30 cal can on my 5.56 rifle and I couldn't even tell you where that thread adapter is today... its nearly pointless to try to suppress a 5.56/.223 IMHO

I also agree with the other guys. You're talking about an AR-15 SBR at $1k +$200 tax + $30 engraving, plus a suppressor at $1k +$200 tax = ~$2430 or you're looking at AR-15 rifle at $1k plus suppressor at $1k +$200 tax + $100 weld/pin job = ~$2300 to have a $1,000 suppressor permanently married to a single barrel that has very little versatility. Is the ~$130 in money savings really worth it?

This post hits the nail on the head. And he even showed his work.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have a vague memory, and I'm hoping someone can help me out with finding what this actual item is, of a 16" barrel, where only 10" or 12" of it was rifled, and the remaining length was just a permanently attached "shroud" or hollow tube of sorts where a suppressor would fit inside and screw onto the barrel

The item kept the barrel at a legal length, while allowing for a suppressor to be used without increasing the overall length of the rifle. Does anyone recall who made this sort of thing?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have a vague memory, and I'm hoping someone can help me out with finding what this actual item is, of a 16" barrel, where only 10" or 12" of it was rifled, and the remaining length was just a permanently attached "shroud" or hollow tube of sorts where a suppressor would fit inside and screw onto the barrel

The item kept the barrel at a legal length, while allowing for a suppressor to be used without increasing the overall length of the rifle. Does anyone recall who made this sort of thing?

I don't recall seeing one for an AR, but I do recall seeing it for a 10/22, and it was like $400. Might be good if you can't have am SBR for some reason, otherwise it would probably cost the same to get a stamp.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't recall seeing one for an AR, but I do recall seeing it for a 10/22, and it was like $400. Might be good if you can't have am SBR for some reason, otherwise it would probably cost the same to get a stamp.

I do believe it was for a 10/22 also. Do you remember the company that did that barrel config?

Top Bottom