• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'm getting ready to go up to North Judson sometime toward the end of October or beginning of November for a day of shooting and grilling out with buddies. We've done this before, and collected a bunch of fun things to shoot. I thought it might be fun to make a list of cool targets, to help give and get ideas.

Until someone comes up with better classifications, I'll start us off with general targets, things to blow up with tannerite, and precision targets. (I've got a .25 cal. Benjamin Marauder air gun that can part the pubic hair of a gnat at 25 yards and can shoot dime groups at 50.)

Here's the start. Add things at will!

Precision:

match sticks
    dice
    green plastic army men
    ping pong balls
    shot gun shells
    .22 spent shell casings
    unsmoked portions of cigars (They blow to pieces nicely!
    breath mints--Altoids are great because they are not good for anything else! (They taste like @*$!)
    Lifesavers/Jolly Ranchers or other candies
    Stale cookies

General

water bottles -- I save them, fill them with tap water or pond water, and add food coloring for effect!
    mini-coke cans from Wal Mart
    eggs
    clay pidgeons
    old computer router
    Old toilet (I want to see what a 3 1/2 super mag shotgun round with 14 00 Buck balls does to it!)
    Steel gong
    Steel swinging targets
    Steel walking targets
    Steel spinners
    Self-healing targets, such as Do-all
    balloons
    water balloons
    empty aerosol cans
    tennis balls
    golf balls--(you'll just lose them anyway, so why not shoot them? Much more fun than golf, IMO.)
    T-shirt hanging from hangar
    electric fence insulators. (See below for how to have some fun with these!)
    plastic Easter eggs full of flour!
    black walnuts

Tannerite

Old toilets--(I've got two! Imagine what 4lbs of tannerite would do to one!)
    backyard grill
    old electronic devices (presuming no harmful materials are contained inside)
    bag of flour
    Old Halloween pumpkins!
    Watermelon (Past its prime. Eat the good ones!)

I like cheap stuff, but this is open to all ideas! Keep it legal and safe!

Last edited:

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    Old t-shirts...When the bullet first makes contact at longer range, they indent for a split second so you can tell where your shot entered w/o going to the target for inspection. You have to hang them up with a coat hanger so it can be free hanging to see the contact...enjoy

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Old t-shirts...When the bullet first makes contact at longer range, they indent for a split second so you can tell where your shot entered w/o going to the target for inspection. You have to hang them up with a coat hanger so it can be free hanging to see the contact...enjoy

Cool! I'll be trying that!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would add the walker targets from bobcat steel for a budget option.

A group of guys with a dueling tree makes for a lot of friendly (of not friendly) competition, a lot of smiles, and a lot of ammo down range.

A buddy and I had one of our best shooting days taking electric fence post insulators, and setting 2 out at 150 yds, on a line, and with our 22's racing them to a second line.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Cool! I'll work to add all suggestions to the top list, if I can keep up!

I've been eyeing those walker targets fro some time. I'm going to hop by Profire arms today or tomorrow and see if they have any. I think they are having a sale on steel targets there, and I think they carry Bobcat, if I'm not mistaken.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Wrong season, but you might have some in your basement or attic.

Colored plastic easter eggs. The kind that break into 2 pieces. Take the larger piece and fill with flour. Put the pieces back together and seal with scotch tape. Makes a really nice cloud of white dust when hit with a .223 from a AR. And since it's just flour, your not leaving anything harmful.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yeah!! GREAT idea!!

Wrong season, but you might have some in your basement or attic.

Colored plastic easter eggs. The kind that break into 2 pieces. Take the larger piece and fill with flour. Put the pieces back together and seal with scotch tape. Makes a really nice cloud of white dust when hit with a .223 from a AR. And since it's just flour, your not leaving anything harmful.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I like to leave the range as clean or cleaner than I found it, so I tend not to shoot things that trash the area. My range trips include steel, and USPSA targets with pasters.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I don't know of a range that will let you shoot this stuff. We shoot at a friend's farm, and clean up afterward. It is a big job, but there's enough people there to make it go fairly quickly.

Just added steel spinner targets.

I like to leave the range as clean or cleaner than I found it, so I tend not to shoot things that trash the area. My range trips include steel, and USPSA targets with pasters.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Nothing really to add to your list, but if we can assist with any of your needs, just let us know!

Does Profire Arms on the west side of Indy carry some of your stuff? I'm going to head over there tomorrow and see what they've got. Your price on the walkers is great, so I'll be picking up a rimfire version and maybe a rifle version, too.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Does Profire Arms on the west side of Indy carry some of your stuff? I'm going to head over there tomorrow and see what they've got. Your price on the walkers is great, so I'll be picking up a rimfire version and maybe a rifle version, too.

They have historically, but have recently made statements about their own line of targets. We haven't supplied them with targets since June, so I cannot say if what they have is still ours or not. Sorry I couldn't provide a more clear answer than that.

I'll be in the Greenwood area tomorrow if you wanted me to bring anything with and we could meet up.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    They have historically, but have recently made statements about their own line of targets. We haven't supplied them with targets since June, so I cannot say if what they have is still ours or not. Sorry I couldn't provide a more clear answer than that.

I'll be in the Greenwood area tomorrow if you wanted me to bring anything with and we could meet up.

Not sure I'll be venturing that far, but I'll let you know if I do. What time will you be there?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Old stale cookies and candies. They blow up for you immediate gradification and the birds and the animals eat the crums, leaving no trash behind like a lot of other things on your list.

I took an old saw horse and ran a router groove down it to stand the cookies in. You can also tie them to hang from a stick with string. An Oreo at 150 to 200 yards is a great challenge. Life savers candy for 50 yards. (if you miss you can just say you shot through the middle!)

Top Bottom