• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I hope I can paint a verbal picture of the course of fire adequately to then ask a question - so here goes. The stage started at the seated position with gun on a table loaded with six rounds and three targets down range. No cover. The shooter must fire two rounds at each target, reload while on the move to the next firing point which was to the shooter's left.

The firing point is at a barrel with three targets down range. The shooter was to shoot from the kneeling position weak hand only. One target to the right which was closest. One target to the left which is next distant and the third target in the middle of the other two targets and furthest away. The COF instructions stated the targets may be engaged in a "tactcal manner." Not must - may. Most folks shot "over" the barrel which meant the closest target (on the right) was to be shot first, the left target (second closest) was to be shot second and the farthers target shot last. One shooter (me), who was one of the first shooters for that stage, decided to shoot from "beside" not "over" the barrel. Taking a position on the left side of the barrel the target on the left (slicing the pie) was engaged first. The target on the right ( which was far closer ) was then engaged and the target most distant downrange was engaged last.

This resulted in three procedural errors. I was trying not to receive any procedural penalties for not utilizing cover. Hence, I shot from the left side of the barrel instead of exposing myself and shooting over the top of the barrel. Afterward, I started wondering if the stage required the shooter to shoot over the barrel or it was an option and the shooter could shoot from the side w/out incurring procedural penalties. Trying to make each of my fiascos a "learning experience."

Thanks in advance

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It's hard to know exactly what the SO saw, but he should have told you what the procedurals were for. My guess is that you might have got one for cover and one for shooting from the wrong hand and one for target engagement.

If it was an engagement issue only, it should have only been one. You can only get bonus points once in that situation.

Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe someone was there and is the forum that could shed some light.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Where were you shooting and why didn't the SO explain the procedurals to you? I've only shot in two IDPA matches, but both times the SO's were very good about explaining mistakes that resulted in procedurals and explaining anything when asked.

Top Bottom