• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot a couple of IDPA with my Beretta 92. I shoot thse casually for fun. Each stage starts with one in the chamber and 10 in the mgazine. If I want to shoot a 9mm Springfield Range officer that only has 9 round magazines, how is that handled?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You can either opt to just shoot with 9 rounds in a starting magazine OR you can chamber a round, make the gun safe and eject the mag. Holster the gun and thumb another round into the magazine topping it off and giving you 9+1... many 1911 shooters will carry a magazine with a single round in there, load that round and eject the now-empty mag and insert their full mag to get their gun to maximum allowable capacity.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thank You, I found the answer where you directed me. I just have to remember to count to 9 instead of 10. I think I'll try the 9mm 1911 next time.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thank You, I found the answer where you directed me. I just have to remember to count to 9 instead of 10. I think I'll try the 9mm 1911 next time.

then if you love it, 10-round 9mm mags will be in your future. Sorry I wasn't able to check back sooner; I didn't get the exact nature of your question and was thinking of how you'd manage to get your gun as full as possible not about the specific rules of the game LOL

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I always suspected that deep in your heart you were all about IDPA rules :rockwoot:

'tis true. I've started reloading only when at a dead stop standstill and yelling cover at myself for no apparent reason.

The latter gets some weird looks at work, but train like you game...something..something

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have shot a couple of IDPA with my Beretta 92. I shoot thse casually for fun. Each stage starts with one in the chamber and 10 in the mgazine. If I want to shoot a 9mm Springfield Range officer that only has 9 round magazines, how is that handled?

You can also get 10 rd 9mm magazines for you 1911 that work very well from Metalform and Wilson Combat. Tripp Industries probably makes some too.

All of my 10rd mags are Metalform.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, are you using those metalform mags in a Springfield? Where did you buy them?

Yes, it's an older Springfield 1911A1 Loaded 9mm. If you shoot IDPA at Wildcat, you've probably seen it.

I got my first four Metalforms as a prize at a USPSA Area 5 match years ago. Since then, I've purchased three more from wherever I could find them on sale. I think I got at least one from Midwayusa.com when they were about $25.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the tip. I cannot understand why Springfield would not offer 10 round magazines from the factory, or at least as an option.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought my 10-rounders from Dawson. Supposedly they are Metalforms with some fine tuning. It may be hype, but I have not had a malfunction yet. And that includes various reloads and Winchester white box, Blazer and Federal factory stuff.

I did have two mag that didn't drop free so I contacted Dawson and they sent me new ones and one of them still didn't drop free so I squeezed it with my fingers and it works fine. I suspect it was new gun, new mags, new shooter. All three of them should get better with use...

Top Bottom