• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I have been having discussions back while I am back in Canada with some of my friends.

It seems like many people are in agreement and are amazed at at country like the United States. It was a country that brought a new concept to the world.

A government that was elected by the people, worked for the people and was of the people.

It would be held accountable by the people and the founding fathers so strongly believed in that principle that they actually wrote that the people should take up arms against it if it headed back to the original state the colonies were in.

Meaning an elite group of individuals who thought they were in office to rule the population without fear or consequences to it's actions.

The idea was that the people were responsible for themselves, the government was not supposed to be involved in the daily routine of the people's lives. It's function was the general welfare of the people and the security of it's national borders.

The government was not there to Lord over the people but rather be in subjection to it.

They did not create a democracy. Rather a republic. (I wonder how many people today even no the difference), I wonder further what their reaction would be if you told them there is no federal election for the presidency, rather it is a state by stat election. I think you would either get blank stares os looks of "you're insane"

More than this I wonder what the founding father's would have done if they had a time machine to see what the United States has done with such a gift that they gave their decendents.

Would they look at all the laws that have been created to put people in subjection to a poweful centralized government with shock and disdane. If you look at what they created in was supposed to beInependent States working in some United Goals but still in control of the laws they made and enforced.

If they saw the police state that has been created where the bill of rights had become of null effect and both elected government and appointed beaurocracies ignored the very principles of freedom.

Where the three bodies of government capitualted their authority to powerful lobyists and militant organizations.

Where law enforcement had become big brother, ignoring the very laws they swore to uphold. From going to a basic service where they were to serve and protect to where they are involved in the lives of the citizens on a daily basis.

If the founding fathers saw congress telling it's citizens what products they had to purchase or be taxed, even if those products went against their religious or political view points. To the extent that if they didn't buy, purchase or supply those products they would go to jail.

If the founding fathers saw how the future governemnt threatened parents over the way they chose to educate their children, if they saqw how the future government would re-write history, change their biographies and remove a person's faith from public view.

I wonder if they may have looked at those upcoming events and with tears in their eyes tiold the yong men to go home. What parent would want to send their son to war to fight for freedom when the great-grandsons would without thought toss that same freedom into a waste basket.

I wonder if the Minute Men would have stood in the way, ir Revere would have taken that horse rid or if Washington would have gone across the Potomac.

I wonder how those brave men who rosked, jail and death that the British were coming (to confiscate their guns) to see the current govenrment allowing the UN to make law and policy on current gun owners, trying to force people to hand over their source of self-preservation and private property rights and allow 911 to protect us.

I wonder would they still have gone and stood their ground knowing all this would happen?

I think so, I think they would have gone ahead and fought the fight that was before them. They may have had heavy hearts but they would have gone on none the less.

For they were men of conviction and courage.

I do not know where the United States is heading or where it will be by the time I have grandchildren old enought to stand as men of conviction.

But their future concerns me.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    "I do not know whether it is to yourself or Mr. Adams I am to give my thanks for the copy of the new constitution. I beg leave through you to place them where due. It will be yet three weeks before I shall receive them from America. There are very good articles in it: and very bad. I do not know which preponderate. What we have lately read in the history of Holland, in the chapter on the Stadtholder, would have sufficed to set me against a Chief magistrate eligible for a long duration, if I had ever been disposed towards one: and what we have always read of the elections of Polish kings should have forever excluded the idea of one continuable for life. Wonderful is the effect of impudent and persevering lying. The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, and what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusets? And can history produce an instance of a rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it's motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20. years without such a rebellion. [1] The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13. states independant 11. years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century and a half for each state. What country ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusets: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order. I hope in god this article will be rectified before the new constitution is accepted." - Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787 [2]

FOOTNOTES

1. ↑ This sentence has possibly been misquoted as "every generation needs a new revolution."

2. ↑ PTJ 12:356-7. Letterpress copy at the Library of Congress. A transcription of this letter from Ford is available online as well.
    ----

The founding fathers gave us the tools and reminded us that the tree of liberty must be feed. We have chosen not to feed it.

Top Bottom