• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    We all see the BOB's and the house on back kits. Alot of people cannot afford the quality packs that will sustain rough environments.

I have been doing some research and in my own little world I thought:

"Why not develop an egress kit that is tactical, modular, and more affordable..."

For instance:

ILBV (MOLLE or ALICE, based on preference): minimalistic loadout containing just what you would need to survive independent of the BOB. Includes 2 days food, canteen with purification means and possibly a filter, firestarting, cordage, basic shelter, IFAK first aid, light source and survival knife.

Medium transport pack: primary shelter (if possible a hammock), clothes, long term fire starting, camelback with a quality filter, 3 days food, and whatever else one would what in his/her pack.

Now, this translates into really thinking about what one would need in a high stress situation where mobility and endurance is of top priority. If the bag needs to be dropped, then the Vest is loaded appropriately to sustain at least 3 days.

Another thought, what if one sewed on fast release clips on the vest's shoulders and snapped the pack onto it. Three clicks (two for the shoulders one for the waist) and the pack is dropped and you can jet off.

Thoughts?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    You are already talking mil surplus. Why try to re-invent the wheel? You just need to get a basic rifleman set-up consisting of the ruck, assault pack, and molle vest. Throw in the camelback or other such hydration source and you would be set. I know it won't be cheap, but the system is proven and works well. Army, Marines, camo and styles are all available. Good luck!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I can tell you from experience - a lot of experience - attempting what you've described over the years, that no vest you're going to come up with will comfortably (or even UNcomfortably) support a ruck or frame pack. The closest thing I've seen was an SF-inspired design about 20 years ago which used a padded waist-belt/climbing harness that could be rapidly (in theory) released from the internal frame pack before the shoulder strap quick-releases were engaged. The design didn't go into general use, so I suppose it didn't work out either. I've got to agree with spearheadersarge: check the surplus stores for a full set of Marine ILBE or the Army Rifleman set. Since both services have changed their camouflage patterns (the Army most recently) the old style camo (Universal Camo Pattern - UCP) stuff is available out there for much less than it would have cost you to buy it before the camo patterns were changed.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    If I remember right my large Alice with frame cost me $50...... I can put almost anything in it and its cheap.... You can wear standard web gear with it and that stuff is dirt cheap. Gear like the marine stuff above is good also.

Don't try and re invent the weel, get what is proven.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Thank you guys. I was just trying to figure out a way to have a 1 day Bug out Vest with a 2-3 day medium pack so weight could be reduced. ya know, smaller size, modular design, etc.

My question then is can I wear a LBV with a ruck at the same time or was it not meant for that purpose

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thank you guys. I was just trying to figure out a way to have a 1 day Bug out Vest with a 2-3 day medium pack so weight could be reduced. ya know, smaller size, modular design, etc.

My question then is can I wear a LBV with a ruck at the same time or was it not meant for that purpose

With the more popular systems you can wear both but it gets a bit uncomfortable in extreme temperatures IMO. I learned quickly that when the situation allowed I wrapped my web gear around my Alice.

A standard butt back will hold enough food for a day EASY. I had a camel back and a but back for food/water and was comfortable.

The chest rigs and all the fancy stuff works but after a while affect mobility and your bodies ability to cool... Hence if ding something that you can strap to the big back being a plus.
    If you don't have experience in this stuff find some bags and rigs that you can borrow and load them up and hump a few miles through the woods. You will find out quickly what works and doesn't for you. It will save you some cash and from learning things the hard way.

I like the new MOLE stuff but for now have the old stuff because of the cost advantage.
    The medium bags don't hold much. My medium Alice is super small compared to my large.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If you don't have experience in this stuff find some bags and rigs that you can borrow and load them up and hump a few miles through the woods. You will find out quickly what works and doesn't for you. It will save you some cash and from learning things the hard way.
    This is good advice. I bought the complete ILBE system and found the size of the ruck tends to inspire me to pack way more crap than needed which hinders the mobility of this already fat man. As I "camp" way more than I "bug out" I use primitive camping as a test of gear and supplies. I've gotten my gear down to the ILBE Assault Pack in the trunk of my car and have proven it to be adequate for several days in the woods with no other preparation other than the clothes on my back.

407235815.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    There was at least one person on here that took his bob to work and rucked home... Took lots of pics and learned a lot of lessons. Same with you gear. I just to pack a lot of junk. Learned that a field jacket liner and a gortex jacket it just as warm, compacts smaller, weighs less really and is also water proof compared to a heavy military field jacket.... Also learned to break down MRE's and find items that have multiple uses and weigh less.... All things that can't be taught only learned.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012

are you asking if the ILBE ruck sack and assult pack can be attached to each other?
    View attachment 19140

yes you can. I have both the ILBE ruck sack + the assault pack (the small back pack that clips to the back of the ruck sack. both cost me $90 on ebay with free shipping. the only problem i had with my purchase is that the assult pack had holes on the top of the back pack but all of these are used. if they have a major defect theyll part the ruck sack and sell part of it. but a good majority of them have no problems at all.

and like i said, the ruck sack has clips that connect the assault pack to it. Me personally, I got rid of the assault pack and 86 it for a 5.11 sling carry back pack.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    are you asking if the ILBE ruck sack and assult pack can be attached to each other?
    View attachment 19140

yes you can. I have both the ILBE ruck sack + the assault pack (the small back pack that clips to the back of the ruck sack. both cost me $90 on ebay with free shipping. the only problem i had with my purchase is that the assult pack had holes on the top of the back pack but all of these are used. if they have a major defect theyll part the ruck sack and sell part of it. but a good majority of them have no problems at all.

and like i said, the ruck sack has clips that connect the assault pack to it. Me personally, I got rid of the assault pack and 86 it for a 5.11 sling carry back pack.
    I was confused as well. I thought he was asking about "ILBE" packs and "ILBV" was a typo. It seems he's asking about combining a small pack with a load bearing vest instead of using a larger pack.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I was confused as well. I thought he was asking about "ILBE" packs and "ILBV" was a typo. It seems he's asking about combining a small pack with a load bearing vest instead of using a larger pack.

Yes. this. I may get a ILBE and assault pack down the road but right now I am very intrigued by the ILBV as a 1 day rig with as much permanent sustainability equipment as feasible (fire starting, water, etc).

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    AhAhh yes you can get small day packs that you can attach to vests and load bearing gear.... Old school is butt packs.... They now make one similar with mole attachment clips..... You can fit a days worth of stuff in it easily.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Yes. this. I may get a ILBE and assault pack down the road but right now I am very intrigued by the ILBV as a 1 day rig with as much permanent sustainability equipment as feasible (fire starting, water, etc).

you learn something every day :yesway:
    never heard of an ILBV. Me personally, i dont like to stick out too much. The ilbe is too.....militarized. and some of the store bought ruck sacks are too....colorful.

Im actually looking into buying a vest. Im looking for a tactical vest that seems more civilian than tactical, like an eotac vest.

each person has there own cup of tea which i respect. i rather look like a normal joe than military marti. :twocents:
    :yesway:

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Lol.

The ILBV is definitely too military for civilian use. Then there are Plate carriers with MOLLE attachments and spaces for personal armor. And lastly you have basic chest rigs that are just a vest with mag pouches or plain MOLLE for custom variations.

The ILBV however, like the old school ALICE Web Vest is standard and has no removable pouches but they have enough medium sizes pouches that you can categorize you essentials (Fire, Water filtration, etc) and store the bigger stuff on the back straps or butt pack.

My take was to use a Vest as such and separately carry or affix via fast connects a small assault pack or medium transport pack to house the bigger stuff. So when it is time to ditch the ruck or go out on a scouting trip, I can carry my essentials on the ILBV which saves a helluva bit of weight.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Lol.

The ILBV is definitely too military for civilian use. Then there are Plate carriers with MOLLE attachments and spaces for personal armor. And lastly you have basic chest rigs that are just a vest with mag pouches or plain MOLLE for custom variations.

The ILBV however, like the old school ALICE Web Vest is standard and has no removable pouches but they have enough medium sizes pouches that you can categorize you essentials (Fire, Water filtration, etc) and store the bigger stuff on the back straps or butt pack.

My take was to use a Vest as such and separately carry or affix via fast connects a small assault pack or medium transport pack to house the bigger stuff. So when it is time to ditch the ruck or go out on a scouting trip, I can carry my essentials on the ILBV which saves a helluva bit of weight.

awesome set up. My set up consist of my ILBE
    2369670396_e2b8646106.jpg
    + 5.11 Select carry pack <font size="4">[video=youtube;UmOlLtjnbP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmOlLtjnbP4[/video]
    and for extra carrying capacity, I'm going with an Eotac Vest.
    EO101K.jpg

very simple and very discrete. I just got the 5.11 sling pack a few weeks ago. My soul purpose for that is to leave my ILBE/Shelter location and take the sling pack with me while i go set up traps or go scout an area. Also the 5.11 sling pack works great for holding my Primal Gear Take down bow and fits perfectly.
    I just need to add some connibear traps.
    cfsb-1-3.jpg
    More-Perspectives-of-the-Compact-Folding-Survival-Bow-from-Primal-Gear-618x412.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    View attachment 19140

I'm sure you know this but...there are some holes on the top of the assault pack by design. I'm assuming you are referring to holes (wear and tear) in addition to those?

Top Bottom