• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am aware of a situation that involved an older man who liked to mow his own grass and that of his neighbors - at least that part which was a right of way that was on the neighboring property and not built on. The neighbor was actually a not for profit business entity. The old man mowed the tract for several years just for something to do - almost as if it was his hobby.

Fast forward and the old man passed away. Shortly thereafter the old man’s widow contacted the neighboring property owner and presents them with a bill. Her assertion was that her husband had mowed the property for years and was never compensated - never mind he wasn’t asked to mow it nor was there a contract for him to do so. She just happened to mention she knew an attorney but didn’t want to get him involved.

The sum requested was a medium three figures and the neighbor paid the woman rather than hiring an attorney to fight it.
    Then… I would put up an ugly fence to make sure we knew where the property line is.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Most counties have online maps showing the property lines. That might be a place to start. A staked survey is the gold standard but I assume they cost $$$$.
    Either up thread or elsewhere, this was briefly discussed: Beware of trusting those lines to be exact. They may be close, they may be off by many feet. The one for my property, at one corner is off by 10 or so feet.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am aware of a situation that involved an older man who liked to mow his own grass and that of his neighbors - at least that part which was a right of way that was on the neighboring property and not built on. The neighbor was actually a not for profit business entity. The old man mowed the tract for several years just for something to do - almost as if it was his hobby.

Fast forward and the old man passed away. Shortly thereafter the old man’s widow contacted the neighboring property owner and presents them with a bill. Her assertion was that her husband had mowed the property for years and was never compensated - never mind he wasn’t asked to mow it nor was there a contract for him to do so. She just happened to mention she knew an attorney but didn’t want to get him involved.

The sum requested was a medium three figures and the neighbor paid the woman rather than hiring an attorney to fight it.
    Wow, way to trade any peace she would have had the rest of her years in that neighborhood for a few $$$.

She might have gotten neighbors to mow her yard, etc since she was a widow, but guarantee that didn't happen after that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's a shame. The money was not owed and the other attorney would expect to be paid as well and has his own duty not to take a case that is frivolous. I know a lot of people and if someone came to me with a baseless claim, I would tell them that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow, way to trade any peace she would have had the rest of her years in that neighborhood for a few $$$.

She might have gotten neighbors to mow her yard, etc since she was a widow, but guarantee that didn't happen after that.
    No doubt. Way to :poop: where you eat.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Maybe he took pitty on the widow. Who knows, because the bill was clearly without merit.
    If she was my neighbor, I'd have helped her out with things... until such time as I saw a letter like that. After that, she'd have been dead to me.

and she might have gotten this as a response...

2cc1ff6d-222b-4a47-bfd1-0b71ea1efc29_text.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If she was my neighbor, I'd have helped her out with things... until such time as I saw a letter like that. After that, she'd have been dead to me.

and she might have gotten this as a response...

2cc1ff6d-222b-4a47-bfd1-0b71ea1efc29_text.gif
    maybe she needed the money to pay off the kidnappers who have her grandson? :dunno:

Old people do crazy things.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Wow. That’s a fair amount of error there. I’m not sure how that data is entered in that database but sometimes I think it’s done by humans guessing.
    It’s that way on the county GIS as well; the 80 acre parcel to the west is off that much too. The bottom yellow line to the East is an “old as the hills” line and the top yellow line was divided off in the early 90’s and someone just picked one and went with it without studying the imagery, as you said.

County tile maps are similar, moved from 100 year old scribbled notes and hand drawings to gis, as we locate them a lot of times the surveyor will come out and gps them, but somebody just tried to draw them in the low spot.

Top Bottom