I'm looking for a good inexpensive chopper. Could buy or handmake.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My son got me a Winchester knife like this one:
    Amazon.com: Winchester 22-41206 Large Bowie Knife with Sheath: Home Improvement

c26-B000EDVU48-1-l.jpg

For $20 bucks he was really proud of this Christmas gift to me several years ago and quite frankly it did better than I expected.....until it broke a couple days ago.

In the short time I had it I lost my hatchet in a move and started using the knife. I've developed a new appreciation for a good chopper!

So, now I'm torn between making one with my son or buying another decent chopper.

Uses, desired attributes:
    Thick spine, I've seen Dakruiser's hand made knives and love them!
    Chopper!
    I wouldn't be upset with a slight re-curve but like the idea of a mostly straight edge for the sake of sharpening more easily. Not a deal breaker.
    Sheath, not a big factor. I'd make one if the one it comes with is junk.

Budget to buy one would put me into the cheap knife category I'm sure. Like less than $80 for sure. I have a $100 Gander Mt gift card given to me so I assume that would get me a $40 quality knife there if I add some cash. :):

I'd really like to make one out of a file (or whatever metal source is commonly used) and I think it would make a good project for the both of us to do together.

Not knowing what I don't know I have some questions/concerns.
    What is the logic behind making your own?
    I'm hoping that if you have the skills, tools, patience and desire you end up with a really good knife for the money invested. Is that accurate or is it one of those things where the metal quality of a professionally made knife is hard to get with DIY facilities?

As far as the time invested, I'm not worried about that. It would definitely be a labor of love. I wouldn't, however, enjoy it so much if I knew the end product was going to be for show and not as good as something I could have purchased simply because of techniques or materials simply not available to the DIY knife maker.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    You have a lot of questions. As a maker, I will try to answer these from my perspective and hope others will also.

What is the logic behind making your own? It is a personal hobby of mine. To create a functional tool from my hands and vision. Being proud and showing your piece by saying "I made that" versus "I bought that"

I think it would make a good project for the both of us to do together. I think this is a GREAT idea which ever decision you make !!

I'd really like to make one out of a file. Beware!!! There are a lot of issues starting this way. Not all files use the same metals and very few do you really know the type of steel used. Best ones are the OLD ones.
    This will become an issue when annealing (softening to shape and drill holes) and then trying to harden back. Without knowing the type of steel, trying to get a real heat treat formula is nearly impossible.
    If you do try without annealing, then you will have to make sure you have equipment that will cut down that file without damaging your equipment. (e.g. by hand - can you find a hacksaw blade and drill bit that will
    cut though. With equipment - you could use an angle grinder for the rough shaping and beveling but again you have the issue of drilling)

I'm hoping that if you have the skills, tools, patience and desire you end up with a really good knife for the money invested. Is that accurate or is it one of those things where the metal quality of a professionally made knife is hard to get with DIY facilities? I started with the tools I had in the garage. Grinder, sander, files, hacksaw, sandpaper, vise and some hard oak. I bought a piece of 1084 steel, 3 books, 2 CD's, and many many hours on the internet and forums before I even
    cut my first piece. It took me 40 hours to make my first knife this way, but, I DID IT !! Turned out so well that many that I showed also wanted one ... now I make knives.

Professional maker's DO have an advantage over a hobby maker because of their experience and equipment. Their investment is way more than I have and the type's and materials can make their quality superior.

As far as the time invested, I'm not worried about that. It would definitely be a labor of love. I wouldn't, however, enjoy it so much if I knew the end product was going to be for show and not as good as something I could have purchased simply because of techniques or materials simply not available to the DIY knife maker. There are other alternatives that will fulfill your quest. For your first knife, maybe you could purchase the blade already finished and heat treated but
    now you and your son can make the handle for it. I will supply you with a few sites that you can piece together a fully functional knife that YOU still have to build and still call it YOUR OWN !!

USA Knife Maker - Knife Making Supplies
    Jantz Supply - Knife Making - Knife Kits - Knife Steel - Mosaic Pins - Handle Materials - Paracord - Abrasives - Polishing - Sharpening
    Welcome to Premium Knife Supply, your online Knife Store
    NJ Steel Baron | Quality Steel for Quality Blades
    Burl Source Stabilized Wood

Here is a couple of links of what can be done per what you were asking from home:

The first knife I've made - The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions
    Chopper hatchet set - The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions

If you are wanting a 1084 blanks (about 10 of different sizes) that I have already cut but have done nothing to it but rough cut, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to give one to you and your son to try out your skills.
    My wife works in Westfield and you could just pick one up or I could send one to you.

I hope this anwers some of your questions. Feel free to ask any further questions and I will try to answer to the best of my abilities.
    Troy

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Here is a picture of some of the blades that I have rough cut designed. None of them are "chopper" size but general designs that I will
    be making in the future. If you would like one to practice on with your son, feel free to PM me and I can get one to you.
    They are all Aldo 1084 High Carbon steel - 1/8" (.125) thick.
    (the kitchen knives pictured are already sold) Troy

[IM

G] [/IMG]

Attachments

• photo (13).JPG
      photo (13).JPG
      131.9 KB · Views: 2

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thick spine, I've seen Dakruiser's hand made knives and love them!
    Chopper!
    I wouldn't be upset with a slight re-curve but like the idea of a mostly straight edge for the sake of sharpening more easily. Not a deal breaker.
    Sheath, not a big factor. I'd make one if the one it comes with is junk.

Budget to buy one would put me into the cheap knife category I'm sure. Like less than $80 for sure. I have a $100 Gander Mt gift card given to me so I assume that would get me a $40 quality knife there if I add some cash. :):

For the price range, I'd look at a Becker BK9. They're not thick spined but the warranty is great and the overall value is nice. You and your son can make different handle scales for it and if you both enjoy doing that, then I'd look at finishing a knife as a future project.

Thick spine production knife, around same price, one of Ontario's offerings and again, you can modify the scales together.

Going outside your gift card:

If you want a file knife you could contact Michael Morris to see if he'd make you a blade and you can finish (handle) the knife yourself.

Current models - www.michaelmorrisknives.com

Bill White at the 1500 usually has unhandled knives as well and you can finish them, his prices are good, knives are nice, and he'll damn near make you what you want.

For your first chopper, I'd get a solid knife backed by a solid warranty. I'd attempt to build a knife later down the road when you figure out what you want/what works for you, in a chopper

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Look at all three sizes of the Kershaw Camp knife. It's awesome in all three sizes.

Top Bottom