Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    IMAG0143.jpg

or

kmg-10.jpg

Really I've made the decision, I just wanted to talk grinders because I'm bored. We were talking about it in another thread and I figured I'd bring something up about it.

What do you think about the KMG? How about the alternatives? What kind of motors would you use, Beaumont's or someone else's? Any comments about the things are welcome.

I just need to sell that AR and I'll be in grinding heaven. :)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    A better grinder is on my list. I do like my AR too much to sell for one, though. If I had two ARs, one would be on the chopping block.

I'm using a cheap Chinese motor badged as "Ironhorse" to run my Coote. It's a 1.5 hp motor and was $150 shipped.

When the time comes, I'll probably build a grinder myself, either the Wilmont or Polarbear Forge. I don't k ow why, but I want the Beaumont E48 in a bad way and will likely get one before I upgrade the Coote.

We actually need a designated knifemaker/steel ruiner thread.

Last edited:

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    How long have you been running that motor? I may have to do some deeper searching for motors before I spend money at Beaumont.

I agree about the thread. I'll be putting a couple of blades through my first attempt at a heat treat this upcoming weekend, I'll have some show and tell.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've only had that motor for a couple months so I can't really comment on it's quality. It does have a year warranty on it, though.

I did the heat treat on my first blade at home since it was 1084. It's probably fine, but since I know I didn't really know what I was doing (although I'd read a ton about it first) I don't really trust it. It was my first one, so the poor thing is just going to sit in the safe anyway.

I have seven more almost ready for heat treat. I just need to drill the holes in the handles, which will hopefully get done in the morning before work. Those I will send out since they are 0-1. Five of them are slated to be Christmas presents for family (it was the only way I could think of to bring my wife around to not hating the knife making idea. It didn't really work. :laugh:).

Top Bottom