• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Anyone ever been to this class or other classes by this group? I was told it is at the old Blackwater Facility near Chicago...DEFENSIVE PISTOL Duration: 5 Days Prerequisite: None Cost: $995.00 (includes lunch and training each day). Description: This course is designed to develop skills for the tactical environment. The course will focus on increasing shooting skills that will increase the student’s confidence in their ability to shoot faster and more accurately with their handgun. •Safety•Placement of Gear•Fundamentals of marksmanship•High/Low ready positions•Managing recoil and muzzle flip•Clearing Malfunctions (Type I and Type II)•Engaging Multiple targets•Use of Cover and Concealment•Adverse angles•Fundamentals of engaging moving targets•Shooting on the move (forward, backward, lateral)•Transitioning to different Shooting positions•Support hand shooting Required Gear: Pistol, holster, three magazines, magazine holder, belt, flashlight, flashlight holder, clear wraparound eye protection, ear protection, weapons cleaning kit, water bottle, and rain gear.Ammo Requirements: 2000 rounds.Any info would be great.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I wanted to check and see if I knew any of their instructors, but their Staff link doesn't seem to be working.

I will do a bit of self promotion and say you could spend less money and get more by doing this;

April 23, 2011 - Introduction to Defensive Pistol - Rochester, IN and May 7-8, 2011 - Point Shooting Progressions - Rochester, IN or

June 25-26, 2011 - Defensive Pistol Skills - Rochester, IN and September 17-18, 2011 - Close Range Gunfighting - Rochester, IN

So my first question to you is have you been to the Impact Training Group classes?

If not how can you say that I can get more for less by attending your class especially since you don't know the instructor(s)?

All of the guys in my/our group are willing to train more than one place, and the more we talk to people that have taken local classes we will train even more. There are two of us that have decided upon this class for now and it is a done deal. Not really asking the questions in this original post as a should I go but more for input on this class.

By the way the above is not a bash and this is the internet do not inflect any harsh, critical or condescending tone of voice in to the comments and questions above they are simple direct questions.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So my first question to you is have you been to the Impact Training Group classes?

If not how can you say that I can get more for less by attending your class especially since you don't know the instructor(s)?

All of the guys in my/our group are willing to train more than one place, and the more we talk to people that have taken local classes we will train even more. There are two of us that have decided upon this class for now and it is a done deal. Not really asking the questions in this original post as a should I go but more for input on this class.

By the way the above is not a bash and this is the internet do not inflect any harsh, critical or condescending tone of voice in to the comments and questions above they are simple direct questions.

Thats a fair question. I didn't get from your op that you were already signed up. Since I couldn't find any info on their instructors (believe it or not there are other instructors I would recommend) I was basing my staement on the info you posted and knowing our instructors and what we teach. I have been training since after I got out of the Army in 91, so I feel I know what good training is. IMHO, SI is the best out there. Not to say there aren't others who are good also. As a matter of fact, the more I hear from some of the guys on the forum here like Rhino, there are probably more good instructors out there than I thought.

Some of my thoughts on the matter probably stem from the fact that when I first read the description of the class, a number of things jumped out at me that they teach that I don't agree with. I won't go into those things now since you said you are already going there, I don't want to taint your training. The same goes for me that you said, none of this is a bash, I am only answering your question to me. I think it is great that you are training. If it was a choice between someone not training at all or only training with us, I would of course encourage them to train, whether it is with SI or not.

kettlebell03

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    From what I understand, this used to be the location of U.S. Training Center's Mount Carroll, IL location, but it was closed rather suddenly earlier this year by U.S. Training Center management. To my knowledge the reasons as to the closing of the facility were never disclosed, but some information can be gleaned from this thread: USTC Midwest (Mount Carroll, IL.) Info? - M4Carbine.net Forums

From what the thread states, Impact Training Group (or North American Weapons and Tactics as it's called originally in the thread) is staffed by most of the former U.S. Training Center instructors that were working the Mount Carroll facility. Assuming that is still the case, I would imagine your experience there to be pretty top notch. I've never read any bad reviews about U.S. Training Center courses. You could always give them a call and ask. Good luck!

BIX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Several of the guys I train with (who've been to a variety of schools) have trained at USTC Midwest, and/or it's former incarnation, "The Site". They have uniformly positive reviews of the facilities and instruction.

No doubt that SI provides good training (I am an SI alum) - but the 'spend less / get more' analysis in this case needs to factor in the fundamental difference between a 5 day class at a fixed-facility school vs. a weekend class with a travelling school.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I also couldn't get the link for the staff to function.

If it is people from the staff of what used to be Blackwater (right?), it's probably okay, but it will always depend on the specific instructors. When I've been in class with people who have spent a lot of time at the other US Training Center (and when it was Blackwater), the most common comment was that the value of the experience depended heavily on which instructors happened to be at your specific class. I don't know how they handle things, so it may not even be possible to know names ahead of time.

For what it's worth, given the volume and diversity of training available to all of us, I'd rather know more about the instructors before I spend my money. Someone who is unkwown to me could very well be the best in the business, but given the expenses and time commitment involved, I'd prefer to go with known quantities if all else seems to be equal.

JC_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Grant County
    That is indeed the Old Blackwater location. I have been there a few times and if they are the same instructors - they are LEOs from the local SWAT team.

ETA - Eric Davis runs the place according to a google search.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom