• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    called an attorney the other day asking if it were possible to reduce the felony to a class A misdemeanor. He said because it was a "violent" crime that there is no way in hell... never.

Being a "violent" crime is not your problem. Being a C is your problem.

Call an attorney get an appointment about how to help. I am afraid that you will face low percentage shots but you need to know what you can do.

So I started searching for other options for home defense and came across PCP air rifles, which can supposedly take down a deer!

Yes. Air rifles have taken game on over the globe. Lewis and Clark carried an air rifle. Air rifles have even been used in warfare, e.g. Battle of Austerlitz.

Sounds like that's what I need, but over at the wilderness survival forums a guy said I may not even be able to legally own that due to IN's strict laws on what constitutes a firearm.

I have no idea what your "guy" is talking about.

The definition of firearm has been posted, an air rifle is not a firearm.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Well on the bright side, I'm thinking it's a good thing that you can look back on your past and admit to yourself that you made stupid mistakes when you were 18.

Maybe its fate, God's mercy perhaps, that you didn't cross paths with an INGO member or someone of similar mindset back when you were dumb and stupid. Just a thought. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks to those who offered advice instead of smartass comments. And to those who said I should speak to an attorney rather than getting my advise here, after reading some of the comments, I would have to agree! Is there an age requirement here? If not, there should be. Several of the responses, I believe, were made by arrogant teenage kids.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    There is no age limit here. It is a family friendly forum. I didn't really read where any of it sounds like it was written by arrogant teenage kids. Should you get legal advice from ANYONE on the Internet about such a critical top? Probably not but it does at least give you a place to start. So I'm glad you got some advice that you can use. Good luck with that lawyer. There are a few around that can help you with your 2A rights. Don't know where you live but if you want to give a least a general county or something, maybe someone can give you the name of one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks Spasmo. I actually found a second attorney in Indy and spoke with him just a few minutes ago. I got the same answer, no chance. So I'll just have to figure out a good source for info on PCP air rifles, which seems to be the next best option aside from killer dogs, which I don't want around my 4 month old and 5 year old.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Now that it's forum knowledge that he's a felon I would also assume that it would be illegal for him (once he hits 50 posts) to go into the Classifieds and buy a gun as well as illegal for someone on the forum to sell him one.

Sellers beware? :shady:

Nobody needs to be aware other then the OP himself. Its still on the OP to either attempt to break the law and buy a firearm vs the seller who is in no way required to "investigate" if the prospective buyer is legally able to purchase a firearm. I've never looked into prior posts of an INGO member I've bought/sold/traded with before other then previous ITRADEr record.T

To try and give advice maybe he could take up archery? It has its advantages thats for sure.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Spasmo. I actually found a second attorney in Indy and spoke with him just a few minutes ago. I got the same answer, no chance. So I'll just have to figure out a good source for info on PCP air rifles, which seems to be the next best option aside from killer dogs, which I don't want around my 4 month old and 5 year old.

I'm glad you were able to find the answers for which you were looking--despite the negative outcome. It is commendable that you are able to recognize that your behavior as a youngster was unacceptable, and have moved on in life to become a productive and law abiding citizen. A lot of people will poorly judge you because of your convicted felon status. In my years of experience working in various parts of the criminal justice system, I can say this: often times, there is a very thin line between the criminal and the cop. I'm not insinuating that most cops or other officers in the system are criminals, but almost all of us have, at one time or another, broken the law. My point here is that I'm not judging you poorly--in fact, just the opposite. Keep your head up--your crimes were committed a lifetime ago.

Have fun with the air rifle. I shoot my air rifle all the time (and I have one of the PCP types which you are thinking about getting). I know you will find it to be a worthwhile hobby.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    I'm glad you were able to find the answers for which you were looking--despite the negative outcome. It is commendable that you are able to recognize that your behavior as a youngster was unacceptable, and have moved on in life to become a productive and law abiding citizen. A lot of people will poorly judge you because of your convicted felon status. In my years of experience working in various parts of the criminal justice system, I can say this: often times, there is a very thin line between the criminal and the cop. I'm not insinuating that most cops or other officers in the system are criminals, but almost all of us have, at one time or another, broken the law. My point here is that I'm not judging you poorly--in fact, just the opposite. Keep your head up--your crimes were committed a lifetime ago.

Have fun with the air rifle. I shoot my air rifle all the time (and I have one of the PCP types which you are thinking about getting). I know you will find it to be a worthwhile hobby.

Thanks for the very kind words.

Originally Posted by cagilber
    Now that it's forum knowledge that he's a felon I would also assume that it would be illegal for him (once he hits 50 posts) to go into the Classifieds and buy a gun as well as illegal for someone on the forum to sell him one.

Sellers beware?

I'm not sure what part of my post makes you think that I would even be looking to buy a firearm. I'm quite obviously looking to ABIDE by the law if you simply read my post. You should seriously consider a position with the federal government though. You sound like a great big brother type. I'm sure Obama would LOVE you. Now that it's forum knowledge that you're a big-brother type, I'll be sure to avoid you. Don't tread on me!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Would a crossbow be an option?

I actually got one last week. The problem is that you can't keep it "loaded" at all times... it will wear it out. And then, of course, you only have one shot... reloading time is too slow, so if you miss on the first shot, or if there is more than one person, you're screwed.

I'm thinking a PCP air rifle is the best option. The only downfall to that is that, from what I hear anyway, you need to get a air tank to charge it and that can take several seconds between... but still much quicker than a crossbow.

Top Bottom