• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clhettinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Lafayette
    When I applied for my LCTH, I believe you could be 18 to carry. However you cannot purchase until you are 21. Does this mean you can't posses? For example, my son turns 18, applies for his permit. Can I provide a handgun for him to carry? (Assuming he shows himself mature enough to handle the responsibility.)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Federal law prohibits FFL holders from selling to anyone under the age of 21. However, face-to-face sales between two non-FFL individuals is covered by Indiana law, which says 18. You should read the INGO FAQ for more info. :thumbsup:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Federal law prohibits FFL holders from selling to anyone under the age of 21. H

Scutter, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. I don't think that a FFL holder is under any more restrictions for selling a handgun (or long gun) out of their private collection. If it's in the FFL inventory yes. But hopefully a FFL holder can speak up.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. I don't think that a FFL holder is under any more restrictions for selling a handgun (or long gun) out of their private collection. If it's in the FFL inventory yes. But hopefully a FFL holder can speak up.

The 1968 GCA doesn't make any exceptions for personal inventory, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong. There may be another section that creates an exemption, but I'm not aware of it. Here's the relevant code:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

PART 478 - COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

subpart f - CONDUCT OF BUSINESS

478.99 - Certain prohibited sales or deliveries.

(a) Interstate sales or deliveries. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver any firearm to any person not licensed under this part and who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business or activity is located: Provided, That the foregoing provisions of this paragraph (1) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of a rifle or shotgun (curio or relic, in the case of a licensed collector) to a resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business or collection premises is located if the requirements of 478.96(c) are fully met, and (2) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes (see 478.97).

(b) Sales or deliveries to underaged persons. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 18 years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition, is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age, or (2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery, or other disposition, unless the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The 1968 GCA doesn't make any exceptions for personal inventory, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong. There may be another section that creates an exemption, but I'm not aware of it. Here's the relevant code:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

You may be right, which why I said I think. But I think these sections may create an exemption.
    (
    11) The term "dealer" means (A)
    any person engaged in the business of
    selling firearms at wholesale or retail,

(C) any
    person who is a pawnbroker. The term
    "licensed dealer" means any dealer
    who is licensed under the provisions of
    this chapter
    Combined with this.
    (C) as applied to a dealer in firearms,
    as defined in section
    921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes
    time, attention, and labor to dealing
    in firearms as a regular course of
    trade or business with the principal
    objective of livelihood and profit
    through the repetitive purchase and
    resale of firearms, but such term
    shall not include a person who
    makes occasional sales, exchanges,
    or purchases of firearms for the enhancement
    of a personal collection or
    for a hobby, or who sells all or part of
    his personal collection of firearms;

I think I have read before, that when selling his/her private collection. That they are not engaging in the business of selling in wholesale or retail, and that the other bolded section applies.

Top Bottom