• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just wish there was more of an option. I understand the no single/double action for a secondary backup weapon. They still make fine DAO handguns. I just personally dislike striker fire handguns. Much less room for manipulation, imo. I've just never been a glock fan since day one.
    I have speculations whether IMPD would have chosen the Gen4 by choice if Glock didn't basically give them away in replacement for the Gen 3.

Any time you've got a question along these lines, specific to IMPD, feel free to ask because you have a direct line to the decision maker. Especially as it pertains to thoughts like " I just hope it wasn't to save a penny". I'm not offended as I didn't take it as an accusation but I will tell you that the thought is repulsive to me and everyone on my staff.

IMPD would not have gone to the Gen4 had they not been offered as a replacement. We were on our way to troubleshooting the issues we experienced with the Gen3 pistols when the offer was made. We tested the Gen4 pistols extensively and they performed extremely well. Switching out the entire agency is an enormous amount of work and we've already got plenty to do. We would not have adopted the Gen4 pistols if we did not feel they offered advantages over the Gen3.

I have been issued and carried a DA/SA pistol and I am not a fan. That's not to say it is a bad system, I just prefer things as simple as possible which means every trigger pull is the same from first to last. I wish ISP luck with the new Sig and hope it works out well for them.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I just wish there was more of an option. I understand the no single/double action for a secondary backup weapon. They still make fine DAO handguns. I just personally dislike striker fire handguns. Much less room for manipulation, imo. I've just never been a glock fan since day one.
    I have speculations whether IMPD would have chosen the Gen4 by choice if Glock didn't basically give them away in replacement for the Gen 3.

Whether or not I'll be hired in this/next years process, I'll carry whatever they give me as a primary and train the living crap out of my self night and day. Just stating my jealousy. I've always been a die hard Sig and Beretta fan since I first picked up a gun and fired.

I am stating this as a LE trainer. Sigs are great guns just not for everyone. I have used one for duty use for almost 20 years. But there is a quirk about them. The main issue with a SIG for a mass general issue firearm for most agencies is DA/SA action as well as the De Cocker. As for the Air Marshals, Secret Service and others they get a lot of shooting as a job requirement compared to what most line staff on municipal agencies do. The De Cock and DA/SA issue with those items is when you are issuing a duty gun across the board to LEO's you need think about the training curve because not all LEO's are gun people and will do just the minimum on firearms. The larger the department the numbers of the non gun folks increase you and the more it has to be "dumbed down" for some. That is the nice thing about a Glock, S&W M&P and the like. It is very easy to train a novice on. Like the old saying goes "your only as fast as your slowest runner"

There is no easy answer because in the world of LE some firearm choices are often political or financial. For the gun gurus that want to start an LE career my advice is if you are that critical about what make, caliber, action etc of firearm that a department uses and how much better enlightened you are about another design just remember. Most decisions are done taking into consideration of skill across the board, liability issues and how hard of a transition to a different action. When you have a 1,200 person force. becomes a pretty monumental, logistical and expensive task.

You can disagree with it but at the end of the day your not running the program so you can either shut up and go color or move on to a place that has "your weapon"

Top Bottom