• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm still waiting on the $150 "extra" state refund check they promised would be sent by July. I filed an amended return (Turbo Tax error) so I figured it wouldn't be electronically deposited, but they said the physical checks would be sent out by now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm still waiting on the $150 "extra" state refund check they promised would be sent by July. I filed an amended return (Turbo Tax error) so I figured it wouldn't be electronically deposited, but they said the physical checks would be sent out by now.
    The state is fast to take your money. Very fast and ruthless if you owe. I have been around and around with those ****heads a few times. Yet the drag butt getting any money back to you.
    Being self employed they viewed me as a piggy bank that I had to vigorously defend. I have zero faith in the State and find it easier to deal with the Feds. Go figure.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They still owe me $1348 on 2020 Federal tax.
    I'm sorry. May I suggest an adjustment. (not just you, but ANYONE that gets big refturns. :stickpoke: )

Seriously. Use it. Talk to your HR. The withholding number will be way higher than you expect after running the calculation. Trust it.

And you can estimate if you are correct by using the calculator, filing the form with HR, then comparing the change in deductions with your refund. You can estimate based on those numbers if its going to work out.

E.g. you got a refund of $2,600 last year and after the change your take home pay is +$51/week, you can expect to owe $26 on the next year's taxes. (and not have to fret getting YOUR money back. ) And if the numbers dont match, go back to HR and tweak it. Think you are gonna get screwed? Change the withholding from 6 to 5 and compare the numbers on subsequent paychecks.

I did this. scratched my head at the results, and then HR said "Yep. believe it or not, that insane number is correct." (e.g. 6 deductions for a family of 4 :scratch: )

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sorry. May I suggest an adjustment. (not just you, but ANYONE that gets big refturns. :stickpoke: )

Seriously. Use it. Talk to your HR. The withholding number will be way higher than you expect after running the calculation. Trust it.

And you can estimate if you are correct by using the calculator, filing the form with HR, then comparing the change in deductions with your refund. You can estimate based on those numbers if its going to work out.

E.g. you got a refund of $2,600 last year and after the change your take home pay is +$51/week, you can expect to owe $26 on the next year's taxes. (and not have to fret getting YOUR money back. ) And if the numbers dont match, go back to HR and tweak it. Think you are gonna get screwed? Change the withholding from 6 to 5 and compare the numbers on subsequent paychecks.

I did this. scratched my head at the results, and then HR said "Yep. believe it or not, that insane number is correct." (e.g. 6 deductions for a family of 4 :scratch: )
    I played that game for years. It took some effort if you are not a Salaried 9 to 5 guy. Esp if overtime comes into play. Travel time/persimmon etc. but I could get it close. Never had an issue writing a $250 check to them. Screw them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I played that game for years. It took some effort if you are not a Salaried 9 to 5 guy. Esp if overtime comes into play. Travel time/persimmon etc. but I could get it close. Never had an issue writing a $250 check to them. Screw them.
    Valid point. F them. And even hourly, it takes a pretty big overage for them to issue penalties for underpayment.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    So, it's October. Just got notified the irs "corrected" my return and turned my $600 refund into a $7500 liability. They blame it on MY error in calculating the child tax credit. This math isn't hard, I know how many kids I have and what their ages are, so I know what my credit should be. I know how much in advanced credits I recieved last year, so the amount I'm owed is pretty basic math. They incorrectly took away my credit and added $3150 in additional tax from the child tax credit form (8812). I've called twice, asked for and received a transcript of my "return", but they refuse to provide me with the details of what they changed on 8812, and it's not on the transcript. This is infuriating. Anyone else dealing with this crap?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So, it's October. Just got notified the irs "corrected" my return and turned my $600 refund into a $7500 liability. They blame it on MY error in calculating the child tax credit. This math isn't hard, I know how many kids I have and what their ages are, so I know what my credit should be. I know how much in advanced credits I recieved last year, so the amount I'm owed is pretty basic math. They incorrectly took away my credit and added $3150 in additional tax from the child tax credit form (8812). I've called twice, asked for and received a transcript of my "return", but they refuse to provide me with the details of what they changed on 8812, and it's not on the transcript. This is infuriating. Anyone else dealing with this crap?
    All I can say is best of luck. I haven't had to deal with anything like this for years, but almost 20 yrs ago someone else claimed my son who I had sole physical custody of. Let's just say it wasn't pleasant and was never resolved. Hours on the phone, sent in multiple documents, etc. They would say well that's not enough we just need "this", sent "this" in, well we need "that", sent "that" in, well we need "the other" sent "the other" in, rinse wash and repeat. Only satisfaction I received was seriously offending one of the IRS personnel. This was when everything was being moved to computers, and after dealing with one of the agents multiple times over several weeks and they kept saying they had to have someone go pull the file I asked and this is almost a direct quote "Do you not have anything on computers? Do you still have dwarves down in the basement pulling files from cabinets?" The employee in a very offended tone replied that they do not have dwarves pulling files. At this point I had sent in the court papers showing custody, school registration paperwork, lease paperwork and a photocopy of my ID showing that the address he was registered at school was the same as my home address, and I'm not sure what else.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Sounds like I'd be contacting the 'dispute' or 'appeal' process.

I've already spent 8.5 hours on the phone, most of it on hold, waiting for the "dispute" (accounts management) department, the only one that can address the problem. One of 6, 8, 10 people I talked to said that department was very busy and when you get transferred to that department, the call just gets routed to next available person in any department. Several I talked to insinuated the entire irs is a complete mess, incompetence everywhere. Likely a product of a bunch of inexperienced lazy people working from home with little to no oversight because....covid.

All I can say is best of luck. I haven't had to deal with anything like this for years, but almost 20 yrs ago someone else claimed my son who I had sole physical custody of. Let's just say it wasn't pleasant and was never resolved. Hours on the phone, sent in multiple documents, etc. They would say well that's not enough we just need "this", sent "this" in, well we need "that", sent "that" in, well we need "the other" sent "the other" in, rinse wash and repeat. Only satisfaction I received was seriously offending one of the IRS personnel. This was when everything was being moved to computers, and after dealing with one of the agents multiple times over several weeks and they kept saying they had to have someone go pull the file I asked and this is almost a direct quote "Do you not have anything on computers? Do you still have dwarves down in the basement pulling files from cabinets?" The employee in a very offended tone replied that they do not have dwarves pulling files. At this point I had sent in the court papers showing custody, school registration paperwork, lease paperwork and a photocopy of my ID showing that the address he was registered at school was the same as my home address, and I'm not sure what else.
    Sounds about like the incompetence I've been dealing with.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I've already spent 8.5 hours on the phone, most of it on hold, waiting for the "dispute" (accounts management) department, the only one that can address the problem. One of 6, 8, 10 people I talked to said that department was very busy and when you get transferred to that department, the call just gets routed to next available person in any department. Several I talked to insinuated the entire irs is a complete mess, incompetence everywhere. Likely a product of a bunch of inexperienced lazy people working from home with little to no oversight because....covid.

Sounds about like the incompetence I've been dealing with.
    I can't comment on your case, but in mine it wasn't IMO incompetence more unwillingness. They just didn't care and their job was to make it as hard as possible to dispute anything they said.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The concept of a “refund“ is strange to me.

If you get a IRS online account you can see what the are doing “kinda”.

You can also pay online!

Top Bottom