• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    GVWR is not your tow rating. It is the maximum weight rating of the vehicle itself, plus cargo in the vehicle (like passengers). Your curb weight is 4890. Gives you a cargo weight of 1510. Subtract a full load of fuel and two adults, and you get to that 1/2 ton naming convention.

The tow rating is in the manual, or you can find online. The number I posted was from a quick Google search. The rating is based on more than the engine power and suspension. Frame construction and brakes are a big pat of it. The point isn't weather you can get the load moving, but if you can stop before running over a bus full of nuns.

Sorry, I know. :rolleyes: I just tow my 6000 lb junk around pretty regularly, so try to be careful. I've also seen some pretty sketchy loads.
    :+1:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    IIRC you can go online to BMV and print an application form for a VIN. Send the completed form and a check (of course) to BMV. They will send you a VIN which you will stamp on the left front near the hitch or stamp it on a metal plate and permenantly affix said plate in the appropriate location. Then you have a LEO come to your house and inspect your handiwork and complete the form. Then send the form to BMV and they'll send you a title. Take title to lic. branch and get plate. I may have forgotten a check or two, been a while.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    FWIW and take it with a grain of salt, but the guy on the phone when I called the BMV to also try and answer this question said Indiana has ALWAYS required titles for trailers.

He's wrong. I use to sell trailer's years ago. At one time you could go in to the BMV and just say I have a homemade trailer and get a plate. That changed in the late 80's early 90's. A buddy of mine plated a used trailer last fall that he bought from someone along side the road. No title. He had to fill out a form on line. It took about 2 weeks. It wasn't that painful.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I ended up finding a good size trailer that was already titled and plated.... still need to figure out how to get the little trailer titled.... I will more than likely sell it if I do get it titled.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/358024-did-i-do-ok.html

Good buy!!

On a seperate but similar note; are two wheel tow dollies required to be registerd? What about trailer built smokers, concrete mixers, shredders etc? Anyone have a link defining trailer for Indiana?

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Good buy!!

On a seperate but similar note; are two wheel tow dollies required to be registerd? What about trailer built smokers, concrete mixers, shredders etc? Anyone have a link defining trailer for Indiana?

Effective: July 1, 2012
    IC 9-13-2-184
    9-13-2-184 Trailer

Currentness

Sec. 184. (a) “Trailer” means, except as otherwise provided in this section, a vehicle:

(1) without motive power;

(2) designed for carrying persons or property;

(3) designed for being drawn by a motor vehicle; and

(4) so constructed that no part of the weight of the trailer rests upon the towing vehicle.

The term includes pole trailers and two (2) wheeled homemade trailers.

(b) “Trailer”, for purposes of IC 9-21, means a vehicle:

(1) with or without motive power;

(4) so constructed that no part of the weight of the trailer rests upon the towing vehicle.

The term does not include pole trailers or special machinery.

(c) “Trailer”, for purposes of IC 9-21-8-12 through IC 9-21-8-13, means the combination of any motor vehicle towing another vehicle ortrailer.

[h=2]Credits[/h]
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.125-2012, SEC.24.

I.C. 9-13-2-184, IN ST 9-13-2-184
    The statutes and Constitution are current with all 2014 Public Laws of the 2014 Second Regular Session and Second Regular Technical Session of the 118th General Assembly.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Effective: July 1, 2012
    IC 9-13-2-184
    9-13-2-184 Trailer

Currentness

Sec. 184. (a) “Trailer” means, except as otherwise provided in this section, a vehicle:

(1) without motive power;

The term includes pole trailers and two (2) wheeled homemade trailers.

(b) “Trailer”, for purposes of IC 9-21, means a vehicle:

(1) with or without motive power;

(4)
    so constructed that no part of the weight of the trailer rests upon the towing vehicle.

The term does not include pole trailers or special machinery.

(c) “Trailer”, for purposes of IC 9-21-8-12 through IC 9-21-8-13, means the combination of any motor vehicle towing another vehicle ortrailer.

Credits

As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.125-2012, SEC.24.

I.C. 9-13-2-184, IN ST 9-13-2-184
    The statutes and Constitution are current with all 2014 Public Laws of the 2014 Second Regular Session and Second Regular Technical Session of the 118th General Assembly.

So a trailer isn't a trailer because of tongue weight??

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    He's wrong. I use to sell trailer's years ago. At one time you could go in to the BMV and just say I have a homemade trailer and get a plate. That changed in the late 80's early 90's. A buddy of mine plated a used trailer last fall that he bought from someone along side the road. No title. He had to fill out a form on line. It took about 2 weeks. It wasn't that painful.

Yea back about the same time I got a homemade trailer. No title. They just gave me a plate and used my ss number for it. Back in the 90s they changed it to needing a title for all of them.

Not sure as far as the tow dollies or wood splitters. Never seen a plate on a wood splitter. I think tow dollies do. Doesn't Uhaul have plates on theirs???

As far as plateing a new or used trailer without a vin. Make sure you get a bill of sale when you get it. It will make it a lot easier to register and get a title.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Also keep in mind when getting a trailer plated, the #3000, #5000, etc. 'rating' on the plate is for the weight of trailer in addition to whatever is being towed on the trailer. So, if the trailer itself weighs #2000, and everything on it weighs another #6000, a #9000 plate is needed (there's no #8000 plate).

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Also keep in mind when getting a trailer plated, the #3000, #5000, etc. 'rating' on the plate is for the weight of trailer in addition to whatever is being towed on the trailer. So, if the trailer itself weighs #2000, and everything on it weighs another #6000, a #9000 plate is needed (there's no #8000 plate).

Same with a truck... But most at the BMV give you the truck 7s and the Trailer 3000. Also the larger weight plates cost more.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I bought a single axle 5x8 trailer from a guy at a garage sale for 100 bucks. It wasn't plated, and it wasn't titled. Its factory built, but doesn't have any VIN's or any other identifying markings on it. when I looked into getting it titled it asked the reason that it wasn't titled. How do I go about making this trailer legal?

Finally, all the GVW stuff is confusing. some are saying certain things are legal, others are saying its a recommendation... some are saying that the vehicle rating is important or I would end up frying my truck.

I have a 2006 chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab 4x4 if it matters. the heaviest load I would ever pull and only for short distances would be my 6000 pound tractor and that would be a rare occasion, everything else will be construction material and yard waste.
    Lastly, I am considering putting a 5 wheel hitch on this truck to make pulling a longer trailer easier. pro's cons? what should I expect the cost to be to add this? are they difficult to remove? approximately how much do they cost to add?

The vin is usually stamped on the frame by the hitch. It may be covered by paint. If they ask why it wasn't titled say the guy never used on the road, just on the farm, then never got around to titleing it.

Used to be to title it you need a bill of sale, get a police check to show no vin #, go down to the license branch and they will send you a vin to stamp on it. Another police check and all the paperwork so far (don't lose any) goes back to the BMV and they will send it down and cut you a title.

As far as pulling with your Chevy you should be ok pulling your tractor on a trailer short distances but make sure the trailer has good working trailer brakes.

Now if you are pulling a 5th wheel your should get a 3/4 ton or one ton. Don't need duallies just a stronger frame/brakes/axles. Cost to add??? Depends if you are doing it or having it installed. You have to pull the bed and install frame supports. A regular 5th wheel will bolt through the bed IIRC and a goose neck has a hole cut in the bed. (at least mine it is a fold down) I think the goose neck is a couple hundred and a 5th wheel maybe in the $500-1000 range. That is if you install it. Easy to remove??? ahh need someone under the truck hold bolts and if you use air tools it would be fair. Probably not something you would want to do very often.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that lets me know that a tow dolly needs a license but the wood splitter does not.

Top Bottom