• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Just as an informational post, here is what I compiled on states honoring Indiana's carry permit, plus the additional states gained by either the Florida or Utah out-of-state permits.

Currently, 25 states honor the Indiana permit:
    AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, and WY. (add IA on 1/1/2011)

With the Florida permit, you pick up the following additional eight states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: KS and NM honor FL permits but not UT permits.

With the Utah permit, you pick up the following seven states:
    DE, MN, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: MN honors UT permits but not FL permits. NM, recently, stopped honoring the UT permit.

So, if you travel to Kansas or New Mexico, get the Florida permit. If you travel to Minnesota, get the Utah permit. For the other six common states, either the Florida or Utah permits works.

Note:
    All the information came from Handgunlaw.us, and I did my best to be accurate and complete. However, I cannot absolutely guarantee its accuracy.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Unless you need KS or NM, I wouldn't bother with Florida. The Utah one is much easier and cheaper to get. Especially when you figure in the cost of renewal.

In fact, I wish we could switch Indiana over to do it the same way as Utah. It is completely privatized, so no BS from your local PD trying to make it a PITA to get. Even if you go to a good PD (Boone Co. Sheriff etc.) it is still a pain because you have to get there during bankers hours. Then you have the ones that make you wait some arbitrary length of time to pick up your application or have to schedule a meeting with the Chief of Police or many other kinds of stupid sh#*. Utah classes are offered at all different convenient times, takes 4 hours (talking about things you already like talking about), and you are done. You never have to mess with any government entity. I really like it, despite having a class requirement, it is much easier than our current system.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Beware the bear traps!

Be alert to states with or without "preemption" laws. Preemption prohibits cities, towns, municipalities, and counties from passing and-or enforcing more restrictive laws than the states' laws.

Most states--but not all--have "preemption" laws but not necessarily complete preemption. So, be careful when carrying in other states that honor you permit(s). You might end up in trouble in some city or town for carrying, say, in a restaurant that gets more than 50% of its revenue from liquor sales and between the hours of 8pm and midnight, except on wednesdays but always when the moon is full (I made that up, but some local gun laws are about that ludicrous!)

While it may be legal to carry in another state, be careful to check that state's laws on preemption.

Beware the bear traps!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom