• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What say you INGO? If you're a reasonably proficient shooter with a couple-ten thousand rounds down range and some basic to intermediate training already, what's the best bang for the buck?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Depends on your goals.

If your goal is to be better at self defense, Force on Force training would be a good option.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I'll always default to classes. Not only do you get what the instructor is teaching, but you can gain the insight and techniques brought to the table by all your classmates.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For firearm skills I vote individual or small group. For topics with a lot of theory or concepts out of a book oh the class route.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Interesting question. Have never really given it much thought as most of the people I have trained with don't do private classes or if they do the cost would be prohibitive. IIRC Coach is the only one I have done a private lesson with. I enjoy classes as long as we aren't talking a 25 to 1 ratio as some of the big names are doing. Even then it depends on what you are looking to get out of the class. If you have issues you are looking to get some guidance on, smaller is probably better.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    With the right student, it's surprising how quickly you can cover the same material in a few hours as it takes a whole class a full day.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    With the right student, it's surprising how quickly you can cover the same material in a few hours as it takes a whole class a full day.

Absolutely agree, and like private instruction, but I'd also say that with the right class, it's surprising how much you can learn from the other students and from the interactions between the instructors and your fellow students. There's inevitably someone else with really great ideas, something that's really working well for them, someone who has already figured out some options for something you're trying to fix or a problem you're trying to solve, someone who brought a gun/holster/light/mount/bag/knife/snack you've been thinking you'd like to try... Sometimes the best idea of the day comes from that kind of collaboration and the additional years of experience that you can find in the right group.

Of course, other days you wind up with a bunch of gingers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Depends on the class. I've taken several with guys I work with, and they're pretty squared away, so the classes we've been to progress quickly. I've also taken classes with groups where I didn't know anybody, and you're forced to progress at the speed of the least proficient person. I did that with an combat handgun course, and during one-handed manipulations, I stood WAAAAAY back, as an instructor was trying to teach a guy how to reload and rack the slide with one hand.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    For me, if I want to learn something specific or work on one or two particular things, I like to find an expert and monopolize their time. For general knowledge, a class is the way to go. Doesn't matter if I'm teaching or a student, I always learn as much from the whole class as I do from one individual. Repeating a class with a different group can be beneficial also.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Depends on your goals.

For firearm skills I vote individual or small group. For topics with a lot of theory or concepts out of a book oh the class route.
    Agree with these.

Identify your ultimate goals, and proceed from there. For individual skills, such as manipulations proficiency, small groups get more attention to the student trying to learn. Yet, classes introduce dynamic learning with a variety of experience, examples, and different perspectives.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Just nailed it Rhino! I've noticed this with things like ski lessons, or teaching Spanish and all sorts of stuff… Individual attention is always great for learning. But I see nothing wrong with classes what so ever and see them as very valuable. I am not placing one over the other, very situational.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I just spent 2 hours with Coach at MCFG today and remembered why I love private lessons. I don't mind classes, and think they can be fun. However, when I'm rusty and need good advice, I want 1 on 1 training on things I need to improve upon. I went through 300 rounds today in about 1:45 with Coach today and we did LOTS of drillwork and he helped show me techniques where I can shave off some time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My goal right now is to extend my shooting accuracy by double. IE, as accurate as I am at the 15y line now, be that accurate at 30y at the end of the year.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    For USPSA where I'm looking for specific help I will only do one on one training. I guess that might change if I had the opportunity to take a "pro" shooters class where it wouldn't be economical but would still want a small group. I think we have good trainers right here in IN though. I also don't think you have to be a pro to be a good trainer but expect a relatively high level of proficiency.

For general classes like rifle, defense, or more theory based classes I wouldn't mind a reasonably sized class.

Top Bottom