• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Up in Lake County we are getting smacked pretty hard with the Canadian fires smoke. It hits my mom in her 90's with breathing issues like a ton of bricks. I am keeping her inside as much as possible. My furnace filter is 5 inches thick, blower runs 24/7. I have been using 3m rated at 12merv but have just installed a Lennox rated at 16merv. I have 2 portable filter units in the house running on Medium with fresh filters. What else can I be doing? Do all these filters even help with indoor air quality?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Maybe this will help?

I have 2ea hunter room air filter units which are the same principal with a single pleated filter.
    The air is much better inside the house than out but even being inside whenever the smoke hits our area it knocks my mom out, like from one nap a day to several. I just replaced a 3 week old 12 merv 3m filter with the 16 merv Lennox and the 3m looked brand new. Its a 35 dollar filter, I will save and use it in the winter, but I am wondering if the filters are even capable of catching this stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been outside all day and it's definitely hazy and smoky down here in Indy, but it's not noticeable at all in the house. I did just put in some eyedrops a little while ago because my eyes were starting to feel the effects of the smoke. Our air quality index is at 159 currently.

1689546558534.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hazy today but I spent 90 minutes on the bike without issues. Worst days of the last time, I couldn't run for more than 30 minutes.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I am fairly far north as well.
    I have a merv12 furnace filter that I change,and two levoit air cleaners.
    Today I thought it was a nice day to head out,until I looked outside and saw the haze.

The levoit filters work very well. One of them I have is more than 3 years old and still running strong(on high unless it is night time currently).

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Electronic air filters for your furnace. They do make a difference. I know what we charge and it aint cheap. Maybe amazon would have an alternative.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It just seems really odd, is all, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find out that some government foul play was involved.
    Nothing would surprise me at this point.
    Hey, at least you LED with the tinfoilhat comment. Least you know!

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Just mowed the yard. Had to hit the inhaler for the first time this summer
    I have a chronic pulmonary condition, use Ventolin inhaler when needed. Going to hold off mowing till tomorrow when conditions are supposed to improve. Hopefully!

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom