• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For those of you who have been going to the race lately. What time does one need to be in the traffic jams to get in before the pre race stuff starts???

I mean back in the GOLDEN days we would be at the bar till 2 am. Getting last minute sunday beer at "Ths sock-it to me lounge" and in line about 4 am at the 30th street entrance. We did this everyear from 1982 till the first IRL race year and I have not attended since.

Times have changed and I am taking my dad to his first 500 tomarrow. Just wndering if we left from 20 miles north of castleton at 8 am if that was to late. With al of that west side highway mess I was thinking of just going down binford blvd to 30 th st and in from the eastside.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Living in Fishers, I have been taking Binford Blvd down to 38th Street and taking 38th Street to Guion Road. I then take Guion Road south to 30th Street. I'll go west on 30th Street past Lafayette Road and then park in a neighborhood on the northside of 30th Street.

Guion Road has worked out VERY well for me over the years.

If it were me, I probably would leave a little earlier but it's all dependent on what you want to see (below is the timing of the pre-race stuff). Better to be early than to be late and stuck in traffic and miss the pre-race festivities.

6:00 AM Military Bomb signifies opening of the track
    8:00 AM Spectacle of Bands begin
    9:15 AM Hot Wheels Truck Warm-Up Begins Turns 3 & 4
    9:25 AM Parade Lap with 500 Festival Cars carrying Princesses k
    9:30 AM Race Cars begin entering Pit Lane
    9:50 AM Pace Laps featuring 1911 cars
    10:00 AM Winning Driver laps in Pace Cars
    10:15 AM Purdue University Band performs "On the Banks of the Wabash"
    10:40 AM All cars are set in place on grid
    10:40 AM IZOD Presents Hot Wheels Fearless at the 500 World Record Jump Attempt
    11:00 AM Live coverage begins on ABC Tune-In
    11:00 AM Decade cars driver by past Indy 500 winners begin Parade Lap
    11:10 AM Military personnel parade lap
    11:30 AM Driver Introductions PA
    11:40 AM Troops march onto the Yard of Bricks
    11:45 AM "America the Beautiful"
    Florence Henderson sings "God Bless America"
    National Anthem performed by David Foster, Seal & Kelly Clarkson Track
    Military Flyer
    Invocation by Bishop Christopher Coyne Victory Podium
    Rifle Volley & Taps
    "Back Home Again in Indiana" performed by Jim Nabors
    Parade Lap
    Pace Lap
    Green Flag by Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient Bruce P. Crandall

There will also be a second flyover after the Checkered Flag

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Were coming from 3 1/2 hrs away, we'll be there at the Coke lot around 8:30. We take a charcoal grill and cook bagels and eggs. (MMMMM!) Our tickets (as always) are exit of turn 4 right across from the access road and about 8 rows up. I recommend to be there early because I would rather wait out in parking then in traffic trying to get in. Beer, water and chicken is always a win. :D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We have moved up the departure time to 7 am.

In the day it was the greatest. Lately it has tamed. I remember the snake pit looking like a riot zone and the cops tossing in tear gas and the partiers throwning it back at them. Home built scaffolds tumbling down. Cars drove in turned over and set afire.A very memorable night with a chock in a bikini, a whip in one hand and a bottle of rum in the other. I saw gordon smilies head and helmet bouncing down the back straightaway. Oh and True american drives like foyt, unser, Suliivan and mears winning races.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    We have moved up the departure time to 7 am.

In the day it was the greatest. Lately it has tamed. I remember the snake pit looking like a riot zone and the cops tossing in tear gas and the partiers throwning it back at them. Home built scaffolds tumbling down. Cars drove in turned over and set afire.A very memorable night with a chock in a bikini, a whip in one hand and a bottle of rum in the other. I saw gordon smilies head and helmet bouncing down the back straightaway. Oh and True american drives like foyt, unser, Suliivan and mears winning races.

Yep, I'm to young to have seen Mears race and kinda dissapointed about it but, Oh well. Should be a good day. With as green as the track will be and with the heat there should be some action early on in the corners, just hopefully nothing to serious. Have fun and stay safe tomorrow.

Memorial Day, :patriot:

noobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I've just checked the TV schedule, looks like Tippecanoe is too close to Indy. 7 it is then!

thayer14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Plymouth
    i'll be headin out at 3am to get there by 7am so my girlfriend can be there to march in it. whats is there to do at the track that early?

Top Bottom