• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not completely sure how I feel about this. I certainly see where these street takeovers are a nuisance and can be destructive to private and public property. Obviously, the fools who are engaging in these "spinning"aka donuts are out of control by a complete lack of common sense and have zero good judgement. Especially the idiots crowding the cars and hanging out of the cars. And from what I've seen in videos, most don't seem to be very skilled drivers.
    However, there seems to be many who keep calling this "Street racing". This BS is not at all what I would call street racing.
    Street racing is usually two parties meeting and going to an area of road where you race for an agreed upon sum of money. Usually it's a drag race of either an 1/8 or 1/4 mile race. Generally speaking it's a completely different type of people compared to the idiots seen in the takeover videos. Yes, there are some idiots who put the public more at risk by picking populated area to do stupid things. Most street racers have actually paid for their **** and have put in time working on their **** and don't make a production of their activities. Now that I've gotten older, I most likely wouldn't participate in such activities.
    Here's why I'm on the fence. This isn't a new problem at all and really is the same old song and dance issue. The message is if you want to race (drag race, drift etc) take it to a track and not the streets. But, how many of you really have any idea what it costs when you go to the track and have to meet a sanctioning body's guidelines and rules? Show up at a track with a modified car and depending how fast it is you get told don't bring it back until you've done X,Y and Z. I can tell you first hand, it pushes many people back out onto the street because they can't afford it. Not to mention people who buy up land next to an existing track and then complain (just like they do ranges) until they are shut down or have a noise curfew etc.

If you engage in these activities, you own whatever consequences come if something goes wrong. If you are habitually caught, then maybe there needs to be a stiffer penalty. But, I don't agree with seizing and auctioning people's cars. Especially not for a first or second time offender. Unless maybe it resulted in damages then maybe to pay for those damages.

I know many people with street cars that are perfectly legal, but all it would take is an overzealous cop to pull them over and impound and seize their ride when nothing illegal was being done. I've got true stories
    But these "street takeovers" have absolutely nothing to do with racing (as you kind of hinted at). The only purpose is to shut down public (and heavily used) intersections and be as stupid as you possibly can. I say jail them, take their cars, fine them heavily. Put a lien on all future wages (like any of them have jobs anyhow). Ruin their lives. I'm good with that. :thumbsup:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Lots of room for abuse, seems to me that there is likely laws already on the books for this.

Could a trucker protest get rolled into this? Can hunk of metal can be called a firearm, can 1 baffle can be called a suppressor?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But these "street takeovers" have absolutely nothing to do with racing (as you kind of hinted at). The only purpose is to shut down public (and heavily used) intersections and be as stupid as you possibly can. I say jail them, take their cars, fine them heavily. Put a lien on all future wages (like any of them have jobs anyhow). Ruin their lives. I'm good with that. :thumbsup:
    It's absolutely stupid and there should be consequences for shutting down intersections (especially heavily used). If the only harm done is being a nuisance, I don't think it reaches the same consequence level as something that causes property damage or injuries or death to others. As the level of stupid increases so should the consequences.

Problem with the proposed law would be something to this effect... Guys go to a car show and as they are leaving, they just burp the throttle a little bit. Just having some fun, nobody got hurt and no damages done. One (or both) gets pulled over and their car seized because some copper views it as engaging in a street race. Maybe a guy hauls a car to a car show. Has to park the truck & trailer in the lot next door. Starts his non street legal car and pulls out of the parking lot cruises a few hundred feet and into the lot next door. Should he be subject to have his car seized? I don't think so, but had a cop see me do it and he followed me into the car show and parked right behind me and hung out there for a while (until he realized we knew each other). Some other cop might have nailed me or nailed me when I left and drove back down the street a few hundred feet to load it up in the trailer. Blanket laws suck! Think "assault weapons" and you'll understand

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's absolutely stupid and there should be consequences for shutting down intersections (especially heavily used). If the only harm done is being a nuisance, I don't think it reaches the same consequence level as something that causes property damage or injuries or death to others. As the level of stupid increases so should the consequences.

Problem with the proposed law would be something to this effect... Guys go to a car show and as they are leaving, they just burp the throttle a little bit. Just having some fun, nobody got hurt and no damages done. One (or both) gets pulled over and their car seized because some copper views it as engaging in a street race. Maybe a guy hauls a car to a car show. Has to park the truck & trailer in the lot next door. Starts his non street legal car and pulls out of the parking lot cruises a few hundred feet and into the lot next door. Should he be subject to have his car seized? I don't think so, but had a cop see me do it and he followed me into the car show and parked right behind me and hung out there for a while (until he realized we knew each other). Some other cop might have nailed me or nailed me when I left and drove back down the street a few hundred feet to load it up in the trailer. Blanket laws suck! Think "assault weapons" and you'll understand
    Still think there's a huge difference between "burping the throttle" or cruising a few hundred feet from a show and playing "Tokyo Drift" in the middle of a busy intersection. I'm only talking about the latter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another gotcha. What if its not their car? Daddy's car. Seems a bit harsh in that case.

What happens when it is technically NEITHER of theirs due to a lien for an auto loan? Sell it, proceeds go to the bank and the bank has to go after them for the balance?

But I am not totally against the idea out of the gate. Pain is the only thing these clowns will understand.

OR what if it is MY car and they stole it the night before? (or took daddy's without permission)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Still think there's a huge difference between "burping the throttle" or cruising a few hundred feet from a show and playing "Tokyo Drift" in the middle of a busy intersection. I'm only talking about the latter.
    Oh I get what you're saying. And again those ***clowns are a different group than what I would call street racers.
    Problem is far too many laws to combat such things results end up being a big blanket. Where all it takes is a a cop or prosecutor who lacks common sense or sometimes a sense of humor and it's abused. That results in people wrongly losing property even if for a relatively short period of time.
    Comparing it to guns since this is INGO. Neighbor reports you as crazy and a threat and then you find yourself being a victim or a red flag law. Your property seized and treated like junk while you fight to get it back at your own expense.
    I just think it's too big an obstacle for politicians to write a law specific enough to differentiate different groups or circumstances.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    There is usually plenty of video footage of these events to show who the true A$$hats are , and not just someone who squealed his tires . Shouldn`t be too hard figuring out who goes to jail and gets their car hauled off .

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A lot of this is social media driven. It's not just being stupid for the sake of being stupid like when many of us were kids. Now it's about showing off, and possibly profiting, for your social media channel. Also why you see a lot more violence from these events than you'd see in prior generations, 'beefs' online end up being shootings in the real world. It is, like so much else, not like it was when we were young simply because everyone has a camera in their pocket and an insatiable thirst for attention from hordes of strangers...especially if they can monetize it.

Top Bottom