• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    We're going to be in Indy on Sunday and are looking for something to kill several hours. I've ready some pretty mixed reviews on the Indy Zoo, is it worth visiting for the price or should we look elsewhere? We're from Fort Wayne and kind of spoiled by our awesome zoo. :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    We're going to be in Indy on Sunday and are looking for something to kill several hours. I've ready some pretty mixed reviews on the Indy Zoo, is it worth visiting for the price or should we look elsewhere? We're from Fort Wayne and kind of spoiled by our awesome zoo. :)
    Indy has an awesome zoo, but the price is kinda crazy. We always try to go on the deal days. If you've never been though, it's probably worth the price for the first visit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As to amenities, GO! The brand new (open less than a month) Orangutan exhibit is AMAZEBALLS! (please check that its actually open, and not still in member preview)

I got to go to a member preview a few weeks back and its stunning, even not fully completed. The interaction with these creatures will change how you perceive them if you get to make eye contact face to face at the glass. You can literally see the wheels turning and recognize its a sentient, thinking, intelligent creature. They are just as interested as us as we are of them. The researchers even said that if you have something unique like a tatoo, they enjoy looking at them and studying them.

Also dont forget to check out the gardens to the east (toward downtown, separate entrance in the same parking lot). Your ticket gets you in there as well. lovely gardens, and inside the greenhouse are various species of butterflies roaming freely.

And specifically regarding what you are here to discuss:

Ive seen posted here that per an INGOer's conversation with the head of zoo security, they dont really WANT us carrying, but they dont post it. And as long as it is concealed, they are not concerned.

So from the horses mouth, Just carry concealed and you are good to go.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I do like the zoo but once you've seen it then you've seen it. If you've never been then you'll probably enjoy it. I usually don't go at this point unless they get new exhibits

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    CTS: You have kids?

In all honesty & sincerity - there are several other things I'd rather do downtown than the Indy Zoo. And I LIKE the zoo.

If you have kids along - check out the Children's Museum. It's not cheap, either, but it is one of the best (if not THE) in the world. Note - there's a licensed school on property.

Indiana State Museum is, I think, fantastic. I could spend all day there. The Chinese Terra Cotta Soldiers are there, I think.

Eitlejorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. I think the Ansel Adams exhibit is there now.

Circle Monument / museum. (Hit up Rocket Fizz while there!!)

Indiana War Memorial / museum. Hidden jem - especially for being one of the most noticeable structures in the city.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    CTS: You have kids?

In all honesty & sincerity - there are several other things I'd rather do downtown than the Indy Zoo. And I LIKE the zoo.

If you have kids along - check out the Children's Museum. It's not cheap, either, but it is one of the best (if not THE) in the world. Note - there's a licensed school on property.

Indiana State Museum is, I think, fantastic. I could spend all day there. The Chinese Terra Cotta Soldiers are there, I think.

Terra Cotta warriors are at the childrens museum.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    No gun zone.

Idiotic global warming/save the planet from humans crap. For instance, there was (last time I was there) a sign that polar bears were disappearing because of humans. Also, no-fact-checking statements made during the dolphin show such as "each time you let that candy wrapper drop to the ground it can end up inside a dolphin choking him". They were also pushing fluorescent lighting as a way to save the planet with no mention that these add to mercury poisoning.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No gun zone.

Idiotic global warming/save the planet from humans crap. For instance, there was (last time I was there) a sign that polar bears were disappearing because of humans. Also, no-fact-checking statements made during the dolphin show such as "each time you let that candy wrapper drop to the ground it can end up inside a dolphin choking him". They were also pushing fluorescent lighting as a way to save the planet with no mention that these add to mercury poisoning.
    Yep it's ran by a bunch of liberal hippies. And like mentioned before, gun grabbers. I'd rather spend my money somewhere ANYWHERE else

Top Bottom