• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Wife and I went (no kids) to the Christmas at the Zoo thing they have every year. I wasn't all that impressed. This was two winters ago, so not the very cold winter we had this past winter. It was costly to get in and there wasn't much activity with the outdoor animals. A tiger was walking around, but it mostly stayed along the back wall and you could only see it for a bit. The polar bears were a bit more active, but that is all I remember for outdoor stuff. I think some things are extra, which just drives up the cost even more. I likely hadn't been to the Indy Zoo for at least twenty years. The one thing I remember was that when it first opened, the food was costly back then. Likely just as bad now. Christmas at the Zoo is likely better with kids, but again, that will drive up cost.

I knew a couple that in past years went to the Cincinnati because it was said to be better even back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Another couple I knew enjoyed weekend trips to Louisville and when they had kids said they would go to that zoo down there and that it was really nice.

Parking hint/tip: There are actually two zoo entries. There is the main entry off the parking lot, but sometimes they take entries at a back gate. The back gate is located off of the White River Park promenade. This is actually the old Washington St. bridge. Well, at this area, the White River has pedestrian sidewalks along both levees. You can find parking spots between Washington St. all the way up to 10th St along the levee. The sidewalk is right there. There used to be signs posting for time limits, but many are gone and I've never seen any enforcement. The closest spots are those south of New York St.. Even if the back gate is closed, continue walking down the wide walk toward the flower building. There is a short sidewalk there where you can walk right to the main entry gate/ticket booths. During the summer, try finding parking on the east side of the levee south of Michigan St. at IUPUI (next to IUPUI apartments). Then walk south and cross New York St.. All those sidewalks along the river basically go to the same area. Don't park next to the VA as that section is fed gov property and they will ticket.

Top Bottom