• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Very interesting read. I had never heard of the Freedom Group, and my only concern would be if the quality began to suffer by the Freedom Group wanting to lower costs by reducing materials quality.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i dont know about anyone else, but it's almost scary to me for one company to have that much control over that big a percent of firearms manufacturing. i read the nra statement that george soros is not involved, but big money talks sometimes.

with the current administration in the white house and this going on now, it makes me wonder.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The only thing that I see we can do as consumers is to support these smaller companies that are not tied to the larger conglomerate. Not saying dont buy Remington, but if the opportunity arises, and the difference comes down to a few dollars, supporting the little guy when we can will go miles in preventing a complete industry takeover.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    The only thing that I see we can do as consumers is to support these smaller companies that are not tied to the larger conglomerate. Not saying dont buy Remington, but if the opportunity arises, and the difference comes down to a few dollars, supporting the little guy when we can will go miles in preventing a complete industry takeover.

+1

The same can be applied to buying American. Although I don't know what firearms are made in the US anymore.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    It has already begun to happen. Remington, Marlin, NEF; seen it with my own eyes.

+1. From what I've seen and heard quality definately decreased soon after these companies were bought up by Freedom Group.

My personal experience is particularly with the Remington 870. Remington in recent years has switched to a cheaper finish, laminate stocks, and plastic trigger gaurds.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My personal experience is particularly with the Remington 870. Remington in recent years has switched to a cheaper finish, laminate stocks, and plastic trigger gaurds.

That's not really any different than the cost-cutting measures Ruger has implemented with the 10/22 family in recent years. I'm talking about serious problems with basic functionality and quality control - guns coming in with front sights installed off center or not installed at all, feeding problems and binding actions right out of the box, poor stock & forearm fit, you name it. FWIW, the Remington-branded guns seem to have fewer such problems than the Marlins and NEFs, from what I've seen.

My personal fear is that now that Bushmaster's Maine plant has closed and production has been moved to Remington's Ilion NY facility, their quality will start to slip, as well. Consequently, we have pretty much stopped stocking Bushmaster rifles at the shop.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good read, thanks OP. :yesway:

Any word on the quality and reliability of the Windham Weaponry products? I know the old Bushmaster stuff had a great name (part of the ABC's of ARs and all that...). Just wondering since I hadn't heard of them.

:popcorn:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I received an email the other day from DPMS regarding a problem with a brand new AR I bought. They wanted it sent back, I did and they have irritated me to no end, today they said my rifle is "back there some where" and "not sure when it will get sent out, we don't ship every day"

Guess I should have bought an AR from someone else.....

Anyway thats a different situation..

At the bottom of the email it states:

Freedom Group Family of Companies

Remington, Bushmaster Firearms, DPMS / Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, NEF, Dakota Arms, Parker Gun, L.C. Smith, EOTAC, Advanced Armament Corp., Barnes Bullets, INTC

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Good read, thanks OP. :yesway:

Any word on the quality and reliability of the Windham Weaponry products? I know the old Bushmaster stuff had a great name (part of the ABC's of ARs and all that...). Just wondering since I hadn't heard of them.

:popcorn:

We've got a couple of the Windham guns in the shop, and they appear to be on par with or even a bit better than the old BM guns. The finish is nicer, and on the "optics ready" carbine they are using a receiver-height railed gas block with a bayonet lug, instead of a shaved-down A2 FSB that you couldn't put a front sight on.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

First, great read!

It is scary how stuff like this can go on and have a group grow so big in influence without the public being aware.

Second, stunned someone hasn't posted this tidbit of information: Executive Officers, Cerberus Group - Chairman, Global Investments = J. Danforth Quayle!

Third: Freedom group will never push legislation that is for anything other than positive revenues for Freedom Group! Any positives will only be collateral for us. I think negatives will outweigh the positives in the long run.

Again, very interesting.

Regards,

Doug

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Second, stunned someone hasn't posted this tidbit of information: Executive Officers, Cerberus Group - Chairman, Global Investments = J. Danforth Quayle!

Great. So the conglomerate that owns a good percentage of American firearms companies happens to be someone who is an "acquaintance" of Brett Kimberlan and Niles Stanton.

Wonderful.

Top Bottom