• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    We have all heard is is easier to catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

So how do we use honey to change the minds of those who are not out and out against us but rather than those who are indifferent or ignorant of either the issues or guns in general.

I know we have guys on here who walk around with open carry MP5, AK47 and other firearms. I agree it is their right to do so. This is not a debate at all and it is especially not a debate over conceal or open carry. I believe both have strong points and weak points and I have carried both ways depending on the situation of the day.

I also agree there is a time to debate, hold peaceful protest, write letters and do other things within the confines of the law to make sure we maintain our 2nd amendment rights.

For the most part those things are for standing up to our opponents who are religiously against our personal liberty and there is very little we can do to win them over. They have a dogmatic belief that ignores fact and history, they have made the debate emotional and have said "Don't give me the facts I have made up my mind."

The people I am talking about are those somewhere in between. They have a general belief that you have a right to own guns and to protect yourself. They have families that have read stories in the paper about situations like in Connecticut where a family was brutally attacked, the father who is a Dr was the only member to survive, his wife was raped and murdered his daughters were raped (on top of their stuffed animals) doused in gasoline and left to die in the fire the murders started before they left the house.

They do not like the government involved in their day to day lives, being taxed, told what to do, how to eat and how to raise their kids. This is a huge portion of our population.

So like I sad I started thinking about honey. A lot of these people do not own guns, they have never fired a gun, and the only thing they really know about them is what they see on the movies or in the news.

What if we used honey instead of being in their face on the 6 o'clock news.

If some of our group held days around our state where we hosted a time where we invited the community to come out and learn about guns and here is the kicker free of charge. We could have a grill going with hot dogs cold sodas, we could have gun classes where a person could learn to hold a gun (I am not talking about a 8 hour NRA course) but a general breakdown of gun safety, how to choose a gun, have semis and revolvers so they can hold them. Have different styles for the ladies who show up. Maybe a pink S&W.

Show them how inexpensive and how easy it is to apply for their LTCH. Show them how easy it is to do the paperwork for the NCIS. You would be surprised how many people think it is difficult and are intimidated because they have no idea how to do these two things. They are intimidated to go into gun shops because the movies show us as ignorant rednecks who will make fun of them.

Give them a couple clips to shoot for free. Don;t try and sell them anything at this event. It would be about us giving to the community. We would want to stay away from extreme conversation that they would be poorly versed in and unable to be part of a meaningful conversation. (like discussing the issues of Ruby Ridge, you will have a difficult time getting them to understand shooting an FBI agent) When I went to kindergarten if they started me out on calculus I would have ran away and hid my head in a pillow. We want to do the opposite we want them to take the pillow off.

To help offset the costs you could have some of the gun shops help out and in return you could pass out their catalogue and recommend their store. You could have instructors help offset the cost as well. Again you could pass out their contact information with information about NRA courses, Utah non residence courses, home defense courses like sweep and clear. Or they could be right there and do a meet and greet.

The important thing is not to sell anything that day just an information day and a day of free shooting , handling guns and having fun.

I would advertise this in the paper. I would have lots of help. Greeters in the parking lot with sincere warm smiles. (and security to kindly walk any protesters out. I would restrict it to 18 years (maybe 21) and older. I would make sure there were ladies from our groups there to help. There is a reason men's clothing stores have female sales personal.

I would make sure to limit the sizes of the guns people are shooting to 380, 38 and 9 mm. First the price of ammo and you don't want people ducking when a Kimber 45 is shot. I would supply hearing and eye protection.

If they did the basic gun course I would give them a certificate. I would make sure they felt welcome and comfortable, no loud or argumentative people. I would have everyone helping dressed appropriated. Collared shirts and clean jeans. Again some of the gun stores could probably supply the golf shirts (let them have their logo on it)

I would stay away from politics as much as possible. The idea is o let them have fun. Remember they have probably never shot a gun. They have never had the thrill of feeling of power when you shoot. I remember my first time it was way cool and I loved it. My heart was raising, my smile was a Ronald McDonald smile that went from ear to ear and I was hooked.

Yes you will get some no it all who wants to tell your other guest all about everything including all his conspiracy theories but this is what your greeters are also for, diverting these people away. You want to have a fun time speaking with all your guests who are there to see who we are and why they can enjoy owning a gun in safety.

Our opponents do stuff like this on the other side and they are winning people to their argument. Why not use honey to win them back or prevent them from being indoctrinated with lies.

I am not sure what I would call it. But I think I would stay away from words like 2nd amendment. We know what this is about. I think Friendship should some how be incorporated not necessarily in wording but in meaning.

Everybody like to be a friend and have friends, so lets be friendly.

Top Bottom