• ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Mike-

As a former US Senate staffer I can tell you that any group with 6000+ members is a group that will be heard by politicians.

As important elections near and INGO grows stronger and stronger with more and more members do you feel you should have a small group of members act as a "board" with you as the head to take suggestions from members as to possible "INGO endorsed" candidates?

Ideas??

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think we might have some trouble coming to a consensus on candidates.

Just my first thought.

We'd also need to see if that is something Fenway would be interested in doing.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think we should stay as we are. Once we turn into a political group, it will be difficult to turn back.

I understand what you are saying and do agree with you. However with that being said, a lot of people on here talk and talk and talk about how stupid some (most) of the laws are. Ths would be one way to work on changing them the right way instead of armchair quarterbacking incidents or just random b******g about things on the internet but never doing anything about it.

Just a thought......:dunno:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I think we should stay as we are. Once we turn into a political group, it will be difficult to turn back.
    I won't speak for Fenway, but I will say that we have had similar discussions in the past and the answer has always been "We are a gun forum, not a political forum." We try to stay politically neutral and welcome people from all political demographics.

We have members who are politically active in all three major Indiana parties (Republican, Democrat, and Libertarian). They consistently encourage everyone to write their politicians, and many of our members respond to that. It would surprise me (VERY much) if Fenway opts to turn this forum into any sort of political support group.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    How about instead of endorsing, offering an invitation in the form of a letter for candidates with authority over firearms laws or regulations to personally write a short statement of belief regarding gun ownership, current gun laws and opinions on future gun laws which would be posted on the site.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

We try to stay politically neutral and welcome people from all political demographics.

How about instead of endorsing, offering an invitation in the form of a letter for candidates with authority over firearms laws or regulations to personally write a short statement of belief regarding gun ownership, current gun laws and opinions on future gun laws which would be posted on the site.

Could be misconstrued and twisted into us being becoming a political anti gun grabbing group just by having the INGO name thrown in. The media can twist us a lot of ways, especially if they decide to come in and lurk around looking at some the posts in the Survival & Disaster Preparedness. They'd try and paint us as a bunch of kooks with guns.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I would like to thank curraheeguns for the suggestion.

While I agree to keeping the forum non political, with the numbers
    that this forum represents, the site does have a resounding voice.

While I'm sure that FENWAY is up to his ears with the site growing as it has,
    I would hope that he would consider the above invitation as an opportunity
    for the voices of Indiana residents to be heard by those that were
    elected, regardless of party affiliation.

Just my thoughts.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Personally I feel INGO should remain a gun oriented site and not develop into a political one or political organization. There will never be consensus. Now in regards to may be writing letters to politicians in the future in the name of INGO in regards to firearm laws YES why not if Fenway wants to take it that route. But it should remain limited to firearm laws and related. Polls could be taken on the issues to get a better understanding on how members feel on different issues. My :twocents:

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    PolitSpeak

Some other well-known sites won't even broach the subject of the 2A as being a Political statement. Comments referring to it as such are purged. But I perceive a great validity in 'suggesting' to politicians that the entire (but NOT uniform) membership of INGO )'of which I am a member' is watching their motions. We should contact them individually -- but will INGO let us use our identification with the organization in our correspondence in this way - and exactly HOW? I don't want anyone to -- and I will NOT, myself -- speaki for 'all the rest of us' at INGO. We are NOT a political organization any more than the Constitution is a 'Political' document. (I know -- I just said we ARE a political organization.) See that as you will. No-one had better try to tell any of us HOW to vote!! I am a definite HARD-LINER on the 2A! I will not tolerate anyone on the site speaking in a way that endorses, or offers any invitation to any candidate, except in the form of a letter for that candidate to personally write (addressed NOT representing INGO) a statement EXPRESSLY addressing the Constitutional basis of our 2A rights, which would then be posted on the site. [[Repeat: write to your legislators, and then POST their reply on the site!]] Also, I offer an 'In Your Face Challenge' to any who would gripe on this site, yet not take any action to defend US! ENOUGH! already with Bit¢hing and DOING nothing! Anyone agree? Pat

Last edited:
    Top Bottom