• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Are there any laws on the books for buying a USED (2004) vehicle in "AS IS" condition that turned out to have a bad motor with in 10 minutes of driving it off the lot?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not sure the lemon law would cover it, but you could threaten to sue to get relief. Lots of people would just take it back and cancel everything to avoid the bad PR. I got a lemon back about 15 years ago or so and I just drove it back to the dealership after about 6 months of constant trips to the mechanic and left it with them. Made it very clear that it was their problem and I was not making another payment on it. Informed the bank that it was back in the hands of the dealership and the loan was canceled. Surprised at how easy things went.

Attorney General: Lemon Law

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They are willing to get me into another vehicle off their lot but they can't seem to get one similar to what I had. (Quad cab pickup with 4WD.)

I asked for my money back and they said they couldn't do that.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    IANAL, but I think the lemon laws only apply to new cars, and a set number of major repairs that it can have in a year before they have to give you another new one.

You might contact the BBB and report this if it doesn't get very far with the Dealer.

FWIW, what city/county do you live in and the purchase was made? that makes a bit of a difference on how helpful the BBB will be.

If this was recently enough, you can call the bank and cancel the loan and call your CC company to stop payment for the down payment.... unless you paid cash.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I live in St. Joe county and purchased the truck in Elkhart county. I did pay over 1/3 of the cost in cash. I bought it on a Thursday and drove it away. Called them when it started acting up. Took it back to them on Monday. They have had it since then. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since they have had it.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I live in St. Joe county and purchased the truck in Elkhart county. I did pay over 1/3 of the cost in cash. I bought it on a Thursday and drove it away. Called them when it started acting up. Took it back to them on Monday. They have had it since then. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since they have had it.

I would call them first thing in the morning and tell them it has been two weeks, either I get the truck back in acceptable condition, or my money back by 5:00 or they will be hearing from my lawyer.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    AS IS means as is. Let the buyer beware. I'd be unhappy as hell and would try to work something out with them...I certainly would not take an air gun and shoot all the windows out of their building every week. No way would I do that.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I figured I was screwed since buying it AS IS. They are trying to make it right but it is taking a long time.

The engine acted up on my test drive. The salesman that was with me and we both thought it was out of gas. It acted up at the stop sign right before the car lot and right after I did an ABS check before the intersection.

It's a Ford with a 5.4 V8. Low oil pressure was the diagnosis once it got hot.

Last edited:

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    Seems like you walked right into it.... if it acted up before you bought it no judge would side with you at all.... as is means as is.... its buyer beware and seems you knew it had a problem and bought it anyways....

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Seems like you walked right into it.... if it acted up before you bought it no judge would side with you at all.... as is means as is.... its buyer beware and seems you knew it had a problem and bought it anyways....

If the salesman could make someone believe it was just out of gas, I have a lot of stuff I need cleared out from my garage to sell to perspective suckers...I mean buyers. I'll give him a 25% cut.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If the salesman could make someone believe it was just out of gas, I have a lot of stuff I need cleared out from my garage to sell to perspective suckers...I mean buyers. I'll give him a 25% cut.

I am well aware of my mistakes. The fuel gauge was well on E, when it acted up. When I went back the next day to finish the deal, they had put some gas in it and I took it for another drive and the engine was running ok. It took about 30 minutes for the motor to start not wanting to idle.

As I stated, they are trying to get me another truck but I would rather have my money back.

I just wondered if there was something other way than a lawsuit.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Are you sure it's the motor?
    My old Crown Victoria did something similar. It would feel as it was about to die at a stop light.
    Quick question, is it acting weird while only in drive or will it act up in N as well?

The crown vic stopped acting funny when it was in N, turns out it was a bad throttle position sensor. ($35.00 part at Autozone and 2 screws on back of the throttle body)

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Im in agreement with the "as is = as is." Dont know if its any different with vehicles, but buying a house "as is" means you get what you see. Sellers arent going to do repairs for you, and if you have any problems - its on you. If the seller of that vehicle was very clear that the vehicle was 'as is' and you signed any documentation stating that you were aware, I dont think a lawyer would be much help.

Top Bottom