• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Can anyone with experience of both Glock and M&P 9mms give me info on their initial trigger pull length, weight and resets?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I can't give you any quantifiable numbers...

But I've owned 3 Glocks (2x G19 1xG17) and I currently own an M&P9c and a M&P9fs...

If I had to describe the differences: factory Glock trigger shorter, stiffer, more crisp, with a short and noticible reset.

Factory M&P trigger: slightly longer, less stiff, more vague reset that might be a scosh longer than on a Glock. The addition of a polished aftermarket Apex hard sear made a big difference in both trigger weight & reset on my 9c.

-J-

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I can try to help.

Glock Trigger - better
    M&P trigger - worse

The M&P really does have a terrible trigger. Terrible as in .. really bad.

Spend 200 bucks on upgrades from Apex to make it DECENT.. but not great bad.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    I don't mind the trigger on my M&P9. I have no experience with Glocks. I also only have experience with two Beretta 92fs and a Buckmark.

My m&p's trigger is a little vague, but I can clearly tell when the point is the sear releases and reset is not too bad. From what I have heard some of the initial grittiness goes away after a few hundred rounds. I bought mine used so I have no idea how many rounds it has through it. I don't notice any grittiness though.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I can try to help.

Glock Trigger - better
    M&P trigger - worse

The M&P really does have a terrible trigger. Terrible as in .. really bad.

Spend 200 bucks on upgrades from Apex to make it DECENT.. but not great bad.

This sounds like a bunch of anti M&P hyperbole to me.

Having owned both, the trigger feel and reset do indeed favor the Glock, but neither trigger is exceptional, and neither is "terrible" or "really bad". That is why you have aftermarket upgrades for both triggers on the market. Both were designed to be combat triggers... Not match-grade triggers. The Glock definitely has maturity on its side when it comes to trigger feel, but S&W does sell models with vastly improved triggers, like their Pro series. I have actually met shooters who prefer the M&P's stock trigger, the way it is.

Having said all that, the M&P trigger can become a superb match-grade trigger with the addition of Apex parts, which will NOT cost "200 bucks" to purchase. The only two trigger upgrades needed to improve the M&P feel and reset to beyond any Glock I have ever owned or shot, are the APEX Hard Sear and Apex RAM, and can be installed in less than 5 minutes. These components combined will only cost the M&P owner $62.90. The trigger can be improved more with the Ultimate Striker Block for and additional $34.95, but I have only upgraded two of about a dozen M&P's with this upgrade, and found it to be only a slight improvement... This upgrade may not be worth the time and effort for so little gain.

Most shooters I've known who have made the switch from the Glock to M&P platform have expressed how their shooting has improved with the M&P, and that is without any upgrades to the trigger.

My advise to the OP is to try both platforms and see which feels more natural in the hand, and if possible, shoot both to see which provides better accuracy to the shooter. Pick the platform that works best, and then improve the trigger in either if you feel improvement is desired.

Terrible as a description of the M&P trigger is a little over the top. That is excessive, even as an opinion. Does The Gun Den even carry the M&P line?

Last edited:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton

Having owned both, the trigger feel and reset do indeed favor the Glock, but neither trigger is exceptional, and neither is "terrible" or "really bad". That is why you have aftermarket upgrades for both triggers on the market. Both were designed to be combat triggers... Not match-grade triggers. The Glock definitely has maturity on its side when it comes to trigger feel, but S&W does sell models with vastly improved triggers, like their Pro series. I have actually met shooters who prefer the M&P's stock trigger, the way it is.

Having said all that, the M&P trigger can become a superb match-grade trigger with the addition of Apex parts, which will NOT cost "200 bucks" to purchase. The only two trigger upgrades needed to improve the M&P feel and reset to beyond any Glock I have ever owned or shot, are the APEX Hard Sear and Apex RAM, and can be installed in less than 5 minutes. These components combined will only cost the M&P owner $62.90. The trigger can be improved more with the Ultimate Striker Block for and additional $34.95, but I have only upgraded two of about a dozen M&P's with this upgrade, and found it to be only a slight improvement... This upgrade may not be worth the time and effort for so little gain.

Most shooters I've known who have made the switch from the Glock to M&P platform have expressed how their shooting has improved with the M&P, and that is without any upgrades to the trigger.

My advise to the OP is to try both platforms and see which feels more natural in the hand, and if possible, shoot both to see which provides better accuracy to the shooter. Pick the platform that works best, and then improve the trigger in either if you feel improvement is desired.

Terrible my A$$.

+1 ^^^This^^^

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

Having owned both, the trigger feel and reset do indeed favor the Glock, but neither trigger is exceptional, and neither is "terrible" or "really bad".

Terrible my A$$.

So we agree, the Glock trigger is better.

Its my opinion the M&P trigger is "terrible" out of the box. If you want to disagree thats fine, but of the major 3 players in polymer pistols, in my opinion it is the worst. Gritty, no reset, the works.

And yes, it is in fact possible to drop 200 on fixing up the trigger at Apex.

I have tried the DCAEK and the Comp AEK, as well as the new FSS kit.

MY search for making the M&P trigger "decent" continues, sorry if that offends you in some way, but I think I have a right to state my opinion.

:n00b:

Its also my opinion that the "Pro Series" is a modest at best upgrade.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Here's my take. I recently bought a Gen 4 Glock 17 and I have several M&P's. Last Friday I loaded up and hit the range, put about 400 rounds through each, the Glock and a M&P 9 (I like to shoot a lot & I like to reload so it's win/win ;)).

Both are exceptional guns at that price point. I don't have a trigger gauge but both seem to break at about the same pull, The Glock's a little heavier but then it's new where the M&P has about 15,000 +/- a few rounds through it. The trigger pull on the M&P is smoother, again round count helps, no grittiness just a smooth pull. The Glock is smooth right out of the box and I imagine it only gets better the more you shoot.

Glock does have a "hard reset" that you both feel and hear while the M&P is soft, it's there and once you get used to it it's not a problem. In fact after shooting and M&P so much I prefer it over the hard reset of the Glock.

The Glock actually has a little longer trigger pull before you feel it engage, not much by any means, maybe a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.

I did put an Apex hard sear in one of my M&P's but took it out as I found I like the factory sear better. It made it just too light for me.

Now here is one thing that surprised me but after shooting so much in one day I found that I really, really like the actual trigger of the M&P much better than the trigger of the Glock. The Glock trigger with it's vertical split design made the pad of my finger sore after a few hundred rounds. The M&P's trigger design doesn't do that. You my find it doesn't bother you or you may not shoot enough in one day to notice but it's something to consider.

The last point I'll make is that I find both to be excellent reliable guns. Never a problem out of 400 rounds with the Glock and the only problems I've had out the M&P is when I was working up light target loads, never a problem with factory ammo. Accuracy is good on both. I do find that I like the grip on the M&P better and the ergonomics of the M&P fit me better but again that's just a personal choice.

Anyway that's my opinion since I have both, (sitting in front of me dry firing them as I write this).

Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Glocks trigger pull and reset from the factory are much better and more pronounced than that of the M&P. However, M&P can get the APEX kit installed and it makes them purr. Glock has a very distinct trigger stage before the break and a very distinct and audible trigger reset. The M&P is much the opposite. On some M&P's you cannot even tell where the trigger reset is.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am a little confused on reset and why it needs to be audible or why you would want to feel it. I have not had any problems short stroking my stock M&P so I assume that is not the reason. What is the advantage to the louder/harsher reset of the Glock?

When I first started hearing about this problem with the M&P I just accepted that it was a problem. I am starting to wonder if it is just different from the Glock that so many are used to.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the factory &P trigger is not horrible but not great, I attribute this to the trigger safety. the design of it tends to feel kinda of marshmallowy. but once you get past the safety it's not a bad trigger, I do agree that the addition of an apex hard sear is a must and really transforms the trigger into more of what it should be.:twocents:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I am a little confused on reset and why it needs to be audible or why you would want to feel it. I have not had any problems short stroking my stock M&P so I assume that is not the reason. What is the advantage to the louder/harsher reset of the Glock?

When I first started hearing about this problem with the M&P I just accepted that it was a problem. I am starting to wonder if it is just different from the Glock that so many are used to.

It's not a problem and never was, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    :twocents:
    I am a little confused on reset and why it needs to be audible or why you would want to feel it. I have not had any problems short stroking my stock M&P so I assume that is not the reason. What is the advantage to the louder/harsher reset of the Glock?.

Hey there,

The only reason I preferred it is because I have been in gunfights while in the military and a very distinct trigger reset is nice... In high stress moments, very fine motor skills go out of the window, to include hearing and the gentle touch. There no other problems with the M&P, but it isn't a problem just as a range gun or whatever, but I will say in high stress scenarios, that distinct "click" will make follow up shots very easy and accurate. Just my :twocents:

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I put the Apex FSS&T kit into my M&P9c, and it's now the closest thing I can imagine to a 1911 trigger on a tupperware gun. Just ordered a second one for my full sized M&P9, and am looking forward to trying the different shaped trigger they're working on, though I'm very happy with the alloy one in the kits today. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

Top Bottom