• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Here is a puzzler. I live in a split level. Lower level is below grade, earth has been built up to meet the foundation. But of course there is about 1/2 to one block exposed all the way around before the vinyl siding takes over. Inside you can tell where the block wall gives way to timber, because there is a ledge.

I noticed during the coldest freeze a couple days ago, I had ice buildup on the top of those ledges in the corners. I got out the FLIR and it was reading a little below freezing on the corners where the sills and supports meet. No real insulation because the block is frozen, so the cold transfers to the studs, and of course that transfers to the drywall.

I also noticed it was mighty cold where the main support beam is as well. Once again that is siding, fiber sheathing, 2x6, drywall. And the fiber board really isnt much of an insulator.

So is there anything that can be done about that? short of ripping out the top half of the drywall and extending the studs in so that the lower half of the drywall goes straight up, adding additional insulation? That seems awful costly for just 3 or 4 cold points. As a stopgap I took extra folded blankets from the closet and carefully placed them in the corners.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Here is a puzzler. I live in a split level. Lower level is below grade, earth has been built up to meet the foundation. But of course there is about 1/2 to one block exposed all the way around before the vinyl siding takes over. Inside you can tell where the block wall gives way to timber, because there is a ledge.

I noticed during the coldest freeze a couple days ago, I had ice buildup on the top of those ledges in the corners. I got out the FLIR and it was reading a little below freezing on the corners where the sills and supports meet. No real insulation because the block is frozen, so the cold transfers to the studs, and of course that transfers to the drywall.

I also noticed it was mighty cold where the main support beam is as well. Once again that is siding, fiber sheathing, 2x6, drywall. And the fiber board really isnt much of an insulator.

So is there anything that can be done about that? short of ripping out the top half of the drywall and extending the studs in so that the lower half of the drywall goes straight up, adding additional insulation? That seems awful costly for just 3 or 4 cold points. As a stopgap I took extra folded blankets from the closet and carefully placed them in the corners.
    In my experience the cold came from the blocks. The lumber for the ledge and lower half of wall was in direct contact with the block.

When we redid the wall I covered all of the block with 1 1/2" foam board, even the top of the block (after I sealed the location where the framing met the block). Then framed the new wall so that there would be a complete thermal break, been good ever since.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Is there a reason you can't just plow/shovel up a couple more inches of earth? Sounds like the problem is simply that a few inches of cement block are exposed to air and are bleeding heat because they're uninsulated inside the house.

I like that idea of digging around the cinderblock foundation down about six inches or so, sticking an inch thick styrofoam insulator on the face of the cinderblock right under the siding like dieselrealtor says, then backfilling with soil. It probably won't break down in your lifetime. The ground doesn't freeze deeper than a few inches, and even then doesn't usually get as cold as the air. You're just covering that strip of cinderblock that isn't insulated.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is there a reason you can't just plow/shovel up a couple more inches of earth? Sounds like the problem is simply that a few inches of cement block are exposed to air and are bleeding heat because they're uninsulated inside the house.

I like that idea of digging around the cinderblock foundation down about six inches or so, sticking an inch thick styrofoam insulator on the face of the cinderblock right under the siding like dieselrealtor says, then backfilling with soil. It probably won't break down in your lifetime. The ground doesn't freeze deeper than a few inches, and even then doesn't usually get as cold as the air. You're just covering that strip of cinderblock that isn't insulated.
    Not practical. Too difficult to explain easily.

*it would involve increasing the pitch of the surrounding yard to an undesirable angle

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Your in investment in insulation will keep paying off for years to come. The insulated panels are not cheap but with the options they have not only will pay for themselves but will add value to your home

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oooh! I LIKE that. First thing that came to mind was the blue foam sheets, but those are ugly and obnoxious. This may solve that problem.

The biggest problem I see is the cost of a fix having no return. (e.g. $250-$500 to fix but only save a few bucks a season on heating/cooling costs) hmmmm
    Are you having problems with condensation from the cold? That can lead to mold in those areas. That could lead to a large repair bill down the road.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So it looks like I have a project for the spring. Thanks guys.
    Now the obnoxious part... First its special order only, second, it appears to only be through Menards. :puke:

Edit: Yes, the company website shows Lowes is also a distributor, but the last time I tried to special order something from Lowes they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg. Like they were buying the product full retail themselves and marking it up again. I think they wanted 20% more than what I was finding it at other stores. (I finally ordered it online from a brick and mortar store that stocked it)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom