New Dolan

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Very interesting. Thank you for sharing the article.
    Found this tidbit of humor in there:

"Arizona, one of the states that bans nunchucks, ranks #9 overall with 16 NFA-registered weapons per 1,000 residents.
    The obvious question for Arizona: What is the legality of tying two of these machine guns together, thereby creating a pair of “gunchucks?”"

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If full autos weren’t prohibitively expensive I can guarantee I would do my part to help Indiana move up that list.
    So, what is prohibitively expensive?

Asking in all seriousness ... I've just dipped my toe into the NFA world with a few .22 cans. That step was a bit of a shock, but something that I've been working toward for some time now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So, what is prohibitively expensive?

Asking in all seriousness ... I've just dipped my toe into the NFA world with a few .22 cans. That step was a bit of a shock, but something that I've been working toward for some time now.
    Full autos. Suppressors aren’t something that’s interested me all that much.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I thought it was just a tax stamp, some machining and the proper FGC. Is the FCG where the cost is at?
    You may legally buy (assuming you are a "proper person") pre-1986 full auto weapon from another individual/entity (think trust). This assumes your state laws do not prohibit possession of said weapon and you receive a signed/stamped Form 4 from the BATFE.

You may not legally build/manufacture a full auto weapon (unless you have a Class 2 SOT).

You should start here:

"The Act also contained a provision that banned the sale to civilians of machine guns manufactured after the date of enactment, restricting sales of these weapons to the military and law enforcement. Thus, in the ensuing years, the limited supply of these arms available to civilians has caused an enormous increase in their price, with most costing in excess of $10,000. Regarding these fully-automatic firearms owned by private citizens in the U.S., political scientist Earl Kruschke said "approximately 175,000 automatic firearms have been licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (the federal agency responsible for administration of the law) and evidence suggests that none of these weapons has ever been used to commit a violent crime."[3]: 85"

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Wow, only 130,000 SBRs in the whole country? That seems incredibly low to me, but I'm also a bit shocked that there's just 500k silencers too.

The numbers just seem low.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    That map is a bunch of crap.
    They have highschoolers carrying Glock switches in Indy. That map doesn't figure in China! <- Purple intent

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Wow, only 130,000 SBRs in the whole country? That seems incredibly low to me, but I'm also a bit shocked that there's just 500k silencers too.

The numbers just seem low.

Agreed, but the data is from 2014.....I think the sales of these items have grown exponentially since then.
    I'm curious about the 1,348 suppressors in Illinois, where you can't have suppressors. Police depts? That's an awful lot of quiet cops.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I would be curious what 2023 numbers are. especially after pistol brace rule, and a lot of people getting thrust into the NFA world with the promise of a free stamp.

Top Bottom