• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Well my brother and I have permission to hunt some private land about an hour away. So we went out there Saturday morning. We broke off and I headed to where I was gonna use my climber and he was going to his usual spot where is tree stand is at. So i've got my climber set up and about to head up the tree when he calls me. "Dude, my stand is gone." .. It was there two weeks ago.... So we ground hunt/stalk the morning. Go and grab a bite to eat for lunch and call my uncle who owns the property. He said that he just walked the property line recently and noticed the neighbors had a new stand setup on the property line that was a 2 person stand. So we go and check it out... what do you know... there was my brother's stand. Marked and looking the exact same as when he had used it last. So we go to the neighbors house and confront em. The "O-***** look" on the guys face when he answered the door was priceless. They were very cooperative. Long story short, we drug the stand back out and relocated on the property for my brother in a REALLY nice spot that I had found previously. LOTS of activity. Hunted that night, but didnt see anything... (partially due to wind and partially due to us trampling in and out to get everything setup) But, good news was we recovered the stand...and the neighbors have been warned that law enforcement will be involved next time. :draw:

Couldnt go out this morning, but will be out everyday this week.

So all in all, it was an interesting day

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Glad you got your stand back but too bad you had to go looking for it. What were they thinking? Life's tough enough without having to deal with crap like that.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I doubt that they thought that they had done anything all that wrong. That's the trouble with society today. No moral upbringing. They have probably seen others in the family or social group do something similar from the time they were children and find it acceptable. Not to go on a religious road here but most of us that are a bit on the "long tooth" side were regular church goers and between the pastor, the Sunday School teacher and our Moms and Dads, and even our public school teachers we were taught what was right and what was wrong. Today ? I personally know of several kids in their teens who have never set foot in a church and their parents have no moral compass of their own to pass on to their kids. What they digest from the various trashy TV shows is the only guidance they have had. It's a sad commentary on us as a people.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    It's not like you can just easily take a deer stand. You have to detach, take down, put back up, and reattach it to steal it like that. It's very thought out over an extended period of time.

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    I doubt that they thought that they had done anything all that wrong. That's the trouble with society today. No moral upbringing. They have probably seen others in the family or social group do something similar from the time they were children and find it acceptable. Not to go on a religious road here but most of us that are a bit on the "long tooth" side were regular church goers and between the pastor, the Sunday School teacher and our Moms and Dads, and even our public school teachers we were taught what was right and what was wrong. Today ? I personally know of several kids in their teens who have never set foot in a church and their parents have no moral compass of their own to pass on to their kids. What they digest from the various trashy TV shows is the only guidance they have had. It's a sad commentary on us as a people.

Really? I'm an 18 year old hunter. My father passed away when i was young and my mother has never even hinted at hunting. It was something I picked up on my own and am learning from experience.

But someone can be as straight as an arrow morally but never had attended church. And it's just as possible for someone who attends church to do something illegal.

Why say bad things about our generation when you were the ones that raised us? Maybe your children are just fine, and would never take someone elses property, but its always a good idea to help create that "moral compass". I would feel that as my duty as an adult.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Well, we dont live at this property. It is property owned by members of my family. We're out there several times a year, but not on a weekly basis. There is only 3 of us with permission to hunt the property. All are family of mine. It wasn't exactly in the wide open. They would have had to walk the woods a bit to find it. So maybe they thought it was just an abandoned stand (even though it looks pretty new), but even still ... to find it they had to trespass. Now the neighbors that are there now just moved in recently. We knocked on the door... a guy in his mid twenties answered ...standing there in his boxers. we apparently woke him up. Said that his girlfriend and her son live there and "he didnt know anything about it, but if it's ours then he's sure they would have no problem with us taking it back." We never accused them...per se.... we said "our stand was stolen, and it's setup on your property. Were' taking it back. It's marked and clearly ours." He was just like "Yeah ok go ahead!" lol so... I can't definitively say "they did it", but why would the previous people that moved out go to the trouble of taking it, but not taking it with them.... so yeah. we settled it. they know to stay off. We made it clear that there would be consequences next time.

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    But someone can be as straight as an arrow morally but never had attended church. And it's just as possible for someone who attends church to do something illegal.

Absolutely. I know of quite a few church attenders, from differing faiths, that I don't trust. My favorite incident was giving $5 towards a tip, and the guy, a church elder, pocketed $3 of it. "I thought it was for me" was the response. Seriously. You just can't tell about people. Thankfully, they're the exception in my social circles.

I've been out in random woods and came across tree stands quite a few times. There's a reason they get left up, they're a pain to take down and re-assemble, especially after a bit of rust builds up on the hardware. They do make for a great spot for taking pictures, during the off season.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

My grandparents were big into church and we did the sunday school/day camp thing during the summer as something to do but we never really went to church. The various trashy TV shows didn't teach me morals because I have a mind of my own. The closest I've came to messing with someone else's property while hunting was to put a couple sections of ladder back by the tree that had the only stand in the woods. I had permission to hunt there and so did the other person (I was actually told that I could use the stand if I wanted but since it wasn't mine, I passed).

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Davey, you missed my point completely. Obviously you had someone in your life you could guide you and impress upon you what is right and what is wrong. My point was/is that there are people out there who never got that guidance from those around them, and likely do not have a comprehension as to right and wrong or maybe that gray area in between. I never said one had to go to church or that church goers are somehow superior. My point was that we were impressed upon by many folks and many avenues about doing what was right. Unfortunately many do not have that guidance. I do what I can with the ones I do have contact with. The 4Hers, the Scouts, young shooters etc etc . Don't try some blame game on me, it won't fly. You are an adult now , let's see what you do with it.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    Well, we dont live at this property. It is property owned by members of my family. We're out there several times a year, but not on a weekly basis. There is only 3 of us with permission to hunt the property. All are family of mine. It wasn't exactly in the wide open. They would have had to walk the woods a bit to find it. So maybe they thought it was just an abandoned stand (even though it looks pretty new), but even still ... to find it they had to trespass. Now the neighbors that are there now just moved in recently. We knocked on the door... a guy in his mid twenties answered ...standing there in his boxers. we apparently woke him up. Said that his girlfriend and her son live there and "he didnt know anything about it, but if it's ours then he's sure they would have no problem with us taking it back." We never accused them...per se.... we said "our stand was stolen, and it's setup on your property. Were' taking it back. It's marked and clearly ours." He was just like "Yeah ok go ahead!" lol so... I can't definitively say "they did it", but why would the previous people that moved out go to the trouble of taking it, but not taking it with them.... so yeah. we settled it. they know to stay off. We made it clear that there would be consequences next time.

Bet you got their attention but I would buy a gross of no trespassing signs and line the perimeter of the property.

Top Bottom