• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If you buy an automobile, you ARE allowed to take it apart and learn how it works - but you can't make copies and sell them, OR help others to make copies - again that would be stealing. If you " don't care" that you are stealing, than that is just part of your moral fiber.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    On a related note, the government has made a habit of artificially extending copyright for ludicrous lengths of time. That's one reason piracy will continue. Most works are irrelevant a few years after their creation. Why should anyone receive a 95 year copyright, when so few ever did, prior to 1978 (and newer extensions). Many, if not most of these creators will be dead by the time their copyrights expire. They will receive no benefit from them.

What Could Have Been Entering the Public Domain on January 1, 2010?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you buy an automobile, you ARE allowed to take it apart and learn how it works - but you can't make copies and sell them, OR help others to make copies - again that would be stealing. If you " don't care" that you are stealing, than that is just part of your moral fiber.
    So, third party aftermarket parts are illegal and "theft"? Bet you love the Mopar model.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Sounds like the same "logic" used by people standing in welfare lines - "it's greedy for people to have things when I have so little", or "I shouldn't have to work for my handout, that would be SLAVERY to the government"

No, actually it's not the same logic at all. But nice try.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    How is it really any different - you want to take what others have without doing any of the work

Did you invent the English language? Did you create the very words that you're using? Yet you're taking it without doing ANY of the work or compensating those who did create it. Does this make you a thief?

Knowledge is not a commodity that can be owned in any kind of moral sense. You can simply choose to keep it a secret. But once you share it, it is no longer yours.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If I produce a product and you buy it, but as part of the agreement I require you to follow certain rules should you agree to purchase that product, aren't you then morally required to follow the rules to which you agreed?

And if by purchasing my product and therefore agreeing to use it in the way to which you agreed, haven't you then entered a contract and are now legally obligated to use the product in the way to which you agreed?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That could be, dross. Except, I've gone through my digital library of music and can't find a single contract attached to any one song or album. Ditto, for my CD collection. No contracts visible in any format. None on the outside of the case (where it would have to be to be valid) or on the inside. So, where are these contracts? Or are they somehow implied by people with whom I've never spoken or corresponded? If you produced something and made those terms clear at the outset, then you'd have a point. Me? I can't find a copy of any contract.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If I produce a product and you buy it, but as part of the agreement I require you to follow certain rules should you agree to purchase that product, aren't you then morally required to follow the rules to which you agreed?

And if by purchasing my product and therefore agreeing to use it in the way to which you agreed, haven't you then entered a contract and are now legally obligated to use the product in the way to which you agreed?

I agree, but like mrjarrell said, I don't recall ever agreeing to any kind of contract or terms of a license. But if I did, then yes it would be immoral to break them.

Does this leave me free and clear (morally) to download anything I want since I agreed to no license, even a fake implied one?

Raise your hand if you believe for a hit song, take for example "Bridge Over Troubled Waters," the songwriter only deserved to make 4 cents?

Nobody deserves anything. If you produce a product, you receive whatever that product's value is to the consumer. If that is a problem for you then it is time to choose a more lucrative business model.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

The problem with a lot of those agreements/rules is, when do you see them. After you open the box and the CD or DVD case, put it on your computer and the agreement comes up before you hit install. Try to return it at that point. You can't.

Top Bottom