• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    So my daughter is 2 and I think it would be fun do some backyard camping this summer. I not much of an outdoorsman my self, but I do want to learn some basic skills to pass down to her... what are your thoughts? How do you deal with fire and a toddler? We haven't had a fire in our pit for the last couple of years because we were worried about her getting burned.... help us please!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Build a fire in it with her help. Later show her how to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. Eat the ones she burns and give her the good ones. Pitch a tent with her help and sleep in it. Look at the stars and tell her she's as beautiful and brilliant as they are.

Repeat as necessary.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Build a fire in it with her help. Later show her how to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. Eat the ones she burns and give her the good ones. Pitch a tent with her help and sleep in it. Look at the stars and tell her she's as beautiful and brilliant as they are.

Repeat as necessary.

Sounds perfect.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy

Repeat as necessary.

AND

take lots of diversions. coloring books, games etc.

Both are excellent! And have fun! If it's nice out, you might even sleep next to the fire with no tent. (I do recommend cots though.)

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Any tips on how to teach her that the fire is really hot? She's smart and all, but new things really get her wanting to explore every thing.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Any tips on how to teach her that the fire is really hot? She's smart and all, but new things really get her wanting to explore every thing.
    My two cents on this is as follows.
    Teach in stages based on age level.
    2 years only goes near the fire with Mommy or Daddy and if they start acting crazy we put the fire out, or the taken away from the fire. This is the simple because I said so. The child vaguely understands that it's an "owey" but not really enough be diligent about safety.
    As the child gets older you talk more about how it can make you got to the hospital, how Mommy and Daddy would be very sad etc.
    And so on as they get older you answer more and more about fire and it's effects.
    By the time they get to a teenager you're discussing 1st through 3rd degree burns and how treat with first aid.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    If your daughter does not respond in obedience and you ought to know that by now. Build a fire with wood just green enough to produce a good amount of smoke. Let here get close to the fire, the smoke side. She will only get close to the fire once after a face full of smoke in the eyes and a few minutes of coughing. Then you can say, "see honey, that is one of the reasons why we don't get close to the fire." Also int the way of impressing whoever you are camping with and your fire building skills. Spend a few bucks on some pocket sized fire starting sticks. Nobody even has to know you have them. You will be the king of one match fires forever.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    If your daughter does not respond in obedience and you ought to know that by now. Build a fire with wood just green enough to produce a good amount of smoke. Let here get close to the fire, the smoke side. She will only get close to the fire once after a face full of smoke in the eyes and a few minutes of coughing. Then you can say, "see honey, that is one of the reasons why we don't get close to the fire." Also int the way of impressing whoever you are camping with and your fire building skills. Spend a few bucks on some pocket sized fire starting sticks. Nobody even has to know you have them. You will be the king of one match fires forever.

Thanks, here's a badge for you.

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    Keep a close eye on her. Maybe take her close enough to the fire that she can feel the heat, but not get burned. You controll how close she gets and how fast she gets there.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Keep a close eye on her. Maybe take her close enough to the fire that she can feel the heat, but not get burned. You control how close she gets and how fast she gets there.

This is what I did with my kids. They've been camping since they were two weeks old. Hold them and get them close to the fire til they want to pull away. Get them close enough so they understand that the fire hurts.

Also, don't let them walk or run around the fire. Kids trip and fall all the time. If they want to play with sticks in the fire, make then sit or kneel. And be ready to jump back when they turn to show you their burning stick! :)

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I took my daughter camping by ourselves when she was just 2. We pitched a tent within sight of the house, but far enough away that she knew we were not "backyard" camping. To be honest, you want her to appreciate the time and experience, so do not take "distractions" such as coloring books, etc. Be involved with her, and your involvement will keep her from doing something to get hurt.

Campfire cooking does require supervision to keep them from getting into or too close to the fire. Just as a kitchen stove or a wood stove, you don't want them to fear it, but respect it. You have great advice on teaching her how close is too close with the heat.

My daughter loved the idea of sleeping in the tent, and she bought into it by helping put the tent up and then getting the sleeping bags unrolled and the tent organized. I helped her identify the night sounds so they didn't scare her, and we spent plenty of time star gazing. These are things that will keep her attention and be something she identifies with her time camping and is something she can't do at the house.

The next time we went camping, we set up a spot even further away, but still within sight of the house. It was fall, so it was already dark by the time I got home from work. She was 3 by then and was helping mom get camping gear together while I set up the tent in the dark. I was surprised when she showed up at the tent to try to help me out. Wasn't good that she left the house in the dark to come find me without telling anyway, but I was proud that she could do it without being scared of the dark and had the enthusiasm about camping that she couldn't wait to get out there. In cases like that where correction is needed, DO NOT take an approach that might discourage them or you may find it harder to get them to go the next time.

My son has followed along in her shoes and they both beg me to take them camping on the weekends, regardless of season, weather, or temperature. Kudos to you for getting her started early and supporting her interest in the outdoors!

Top Bottom