Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    Sheriff Ken P. Campbell
    Boone Co. Sheriff's Office
    1905 Indianapolis Avenue
    Lebanon, IN 46052
    (765)482-1412

Introduction to the Defensive Pistol

The Boone County Sheriff Department will again offer a 16 hour "Introduction to the Defensive Pistol" course to qualified applicants on April 19-20, 2008. It will be held at the Boone County Sheriff Firearms Range in Lebanon, IN.

This course is designed for the novice to the experienced male or female firearms owner. The two day course instructs the student in Mindset, Gunhandling, and Marksmanship. It is instructed by Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell and staff. Campbell is the Boone County Sheriff, Department Senior Rangemaster, a guest Firearms Instructor at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, has Instructor Certification from Yavapai Firearms Academy, Ltd. (Yavapai Firearms Academy) and is an Adjunct Instructor and Rangemaster for Gunsite Academy, Inc. in Paulden, AZ.
    (Gunsite)

Requirements include either a valid Indiana Firearms Permit or Criminal History Report verifying the student as a "Proper Person," eye and hearing protection, a suitable pistol, approximately 400 rounds of ammunition, and tuition of $150. (As there is no fiscal impact on the Department for the course, all costs relating to the course must come from the student tuition's.)

Persons requesting additional information or references are requested to contact Sheriff Campbell at (765)483-3359 or via email at kcampbell@co.boone.in.us

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'm just waiting to make sure these dates are open for me but I'm going to try and make this class! Anyone else from the board want to join me?

datalcott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2008
    One option I've heard of...

I've had several people direct me toward Steve Calvert & Associates for beginning pistol instruction. There is a Bloomington Yellow Pages number for him, I've been meaning to call it up and see what he offers. He's not listed as teaching any NRA approved courses in the near future, though, so I'm not sure what's up.

Anyone know anything about him and can recommend one way or the other?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    When I lived in Bloomington I seem to remember hearing that name.. But I'm sorry I have no info for you!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    that's the class lars (W9ZEB) has me signed up for... May 31-June 1... because the April class is not only full but has a good-sized waiting list.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Gentlemen:

Don't miss out on this class. It is definitely the best $150 that you'll ever spend on firearms training. I have taken it twice (once with my father and once with my wife) and I may even take it again, this time with my brother, if he decides to stop wasting his money on guitar equipment.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    abnk is absolutely correct. I did the class back in 2002 and it was well worth the $150 (which is a huge bargain by today's standards). Sheriff Campbell is a great instructor and communicator, and makes it fun and interesting for people of all levels. We had people who had never touched a firearm up to people who had a decade of USPSA competition in the class.

abnk also touches on another point. It's an ideal class for families. Lots of husband/wife, parent/child combinations are in every class, and it serves them well. If you have a family member or friend who is hesitant to participate in a class, sometimes doing it with them really makes them more comfortable, and then they can learn.

It's also a great start if you intend to enroll in more classes in the future.

Top Bottom