Is .41 magnum enough gun for Texas feral pigs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I got an invite from a friend to go on a Texas hog hunt this fall. Planning on taking one of the following long guns: Marlin 1894 .44 mag, Rock River AR in .458 Socom, or a T/C Encore with .454 Casull barrel. My handgun will be a backup and never intended to be shot more than 25 yards. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag but it is scoped and doesn't pack very well. My .41 is Ruger bisley with 7 1/2" barrel. Any recommendations for factory loads or handloads that are stout enough to drop a pig will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to lug that heavy super redhawk with me.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Yeah it is plenty enough look for a xtp bullet.260 grain is heavy and packs a punch...

I have same gun.....I shoot out to 100 yards on deer with it...

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    41 Magnum hardcast is made for bear.

I would hope it'd work on a little ole piggy. :rockwoot:

They use 22 bolt guns in factories. Head shot.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Screen Name??

Is your screen name just for show/wish?? If you are the owner of a 10MM handgun, I can think THAT would be the proper back up carry with 180/200gr. HOT loads???..Bill.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In Texas last year. My friend used a S&W 57 with Buffalo Bore with the all cooper bullet (I think Barnes).

First time? I would bring a rifle (just more flexibility, the pigs are smart, very smart).

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    .41 is plenty for hogs. I took a 250/300 lb. wild boar in Tennesse with a medium load 180 gr HP thru the shoulder--dropped in his tracks like a rock.

Last edited:

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Is your screen name just for show/wish?? If you are the owner of a 10MM handgun, I can think THAT would be the proper back up carry with 180/200gr. HOT loads???..Bill.

I have a 10mm. It's a Smith 1006 with the factory Smith fixed sights. I believe they are Novak sights. My gun's point of aim/impact is pretty good with most 180 grain loads I ran through it. Most of those are standard factory loads not what I would call a hot load. The only bullet in 10mm I think would be tough enough to trust on a hog would be the Hornady XTP. That and the fixed sights are why I was looking at my .41 Mag Bisley. The Ruger has adjustable sights and if I want to shoot a bullet with a longer overall length like the 260 hard cast bullet I know the revolver won't be finicky like an autoloader. Thank you for input on the 10mm. Are you a 10mm enthusiast as well? Have you found a good bullet/load combo that is a solid performer when you start handloading for higher velocities?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom