Is it just me/my area or are there about 5x as many raccoons as normal this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The trash pandas are back for revenge since they are tired of being marginalized by cats, dogs, coyotes, bobcats and man especially those with boom sticks according to their website on the dark web.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I shot #28 last night at my house. My mountain Feist trees them and I for the sake of my family's sleep and the chickens dispatch them. I live on a ridge between the white river and Guthrie creek and live in a travel route of the trash panda. I have said I shoot one and 10 move in. Road to town is littered with them.

All of the local coon hunters have permission to hunt as long as they shoot them out. They are obviously not doing their job .

Between me and my neighbor to the west, we have hammered the coons. We've both noticed better turkey numbers too. So I say, kill a coon and save a nest .

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I've not killed any this year but need to set traps out in the garden as the wife is telling me that the raccoon are eating our veggies. She's seen raccoon tracks several places in the garden so I know I need to start thinning the local population.

Two years ago my neighbor and I killed over 70 between the 2 of us.i Veatch 'em in leg holds or catch em alive traps and let them meet their maker.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    They just keep multiplying like crazy! I’ve seen an awful lot of them as “road kills” all over Indiana roads lately. Must have been a fertile spring for them. :dunno:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have a few here on the Ohio River, but not as many as years past. There are more dogs in the neighborhood now than ever, I think all of the houses close to me have at least one dog. I think more dogs, and the land just west of us being designated as a park have made the wildlife move farther into the woods? I have only seen one groundhog this year, no rabbits, and very few coons.

We did have a small buck in the side yard the other night, and I get deer on my front yard camera several times a week.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Yes it seems to be more. I have a super raccoon breaking into the chicken pen to eat their food - it moves large rocks, digs under fences and bends fence wires apart to get in.
    There need to be more r corpses along the roads.
    I have the bast**ds brother here, that coop has been safe for 15 years till this spring. He actually bent the end plate of a live trap and managed his escape, and learned from it!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    There are definitely more in Putnam County this year. Pretty much can’t go down a road and not see one dead. I’ve seen countless youngins running without their mommas. We’ve had three come in our back porch pet door.

Maybe the bobcats will thin them out. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    We seem to have tons more this year than I recall seeing in years prior. The road kill (mostly young) between here and town has become a de facto 'coon grave yard. I mean there are a lot! My other concern this year is that I've noticed several displaying signs of distemper. This year is the first I've ever noticed multiple sick racoons.

Top Bottom