Is it me or has software come full circle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Over the past 30ish years or so, seems software companies have shifted focus a few times.

1. distribute/sell software
    2. sell monthly/annual online subscription to login to their web platform
    3. distribute/sell software/apps

Presumably they have realized they can glean a lot more data from users if they have a trojan horse in the user's machine.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Seems like more and more stuff gets less intuitive as time goes on.
    A few friends in the software business have told me that Software companies used to have design engineers that after the software engineers created it they made it ergonomic and user friendly. Those positions have been eliminated to cut costs and often the engineers have been offshored and the software they develop is utilitarian.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The use of software was originally sold as a servant to help people get things done. I was in on the time when industry started automating processes and a midi frame or a main frame ran an I/O rack that turned on and off things, then controller boards and more sophisticated software could actually control flow and rate as well as a dedicated process operator. It really did get the job done pretty well. It also let process operators stay in the control room on bitter cold days rather than climbing ladders in the storm and adjusting hand wheel stem valves.

These days every step of life seems to be geared to multiple people having to serve the software. Both control software and business software. There does not seem to be any improvement in the operating features of software in the last 30 years. There are multiple layers of hidden statistical data and personal trend tracking software that predictive psychologists can use to manipulate people.

It is probably happening already, but one day, every right and shred of justice will be individually assigned according to some hidden secret algorithms that you will never be able to control or appeal even if it is in error. Your food, clothing, shelter and safety will be used to leverage your compliance to the matrix. The definition of freedom will be the same as the gate over Dachau; "work makes you free". I don't think that definition was found to be correct.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Over the past 30ish years or so, seems software companies have shifted focus a few times.

Presumably they have realized they can glean a lot more data from users if they have a trojan horse in the user's machine.
    I'm thinking the near term (now to ten years out) subscription models will proliferate. It's already occurring in some items that were formally 'buy and own' such as cars. Auto makers are making enhancements available via subscription, like better performance or access to electronic features. It kinda coincides with the whole, "you'll own nothing and like it" mantra.

Reactions: Leo

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm thinking the near term (now to ten years out) subscription models will proliferate. It's already occurring in some items that were formally 'buy and own' such as cars. Auto makers are making enhancements available via subscription, like better performance or access to electronic features. It kinda coincides with the whole, "you'll own nothing and like it" mantra.
    Like the Ford Lightning electric trucks that are having trouble downloading the software updates? The best and most dependable electric motor controllers are the old analog motor drives with NO software.

Also, I have done poor relief work in several places. I have feed starving people of all ages. I venture that none would say they "own nothing and like it".

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Many things are going subscription, not just software. It replaces a spikey revenue stream with a more consistent, stickier revenue stream.

Buying DVDs, has largely changed over to streaming.
    Buying CDs, largely changed over to streaming.
    Autoship subscriptions on consumable goods-- i.e. Pet food, coffee, etc (not quite the same as for most you can still just buy consumable single purchase product).

Everyone has figured out the "gym membership" way of doing business.

It's not just a software thing.

And much of what is "apps" are not actually purchasing an app, (many are free) but promote in app purchases. If the app is free and there isn't a revenue stream of in app purchases, then you and your info is most definitely the product in that situation.

The other aspect is that with software new capabilities, updates, features (some of which may be a premium) can usually be provided quicker under a subscription (especially with as the OP mentions internet based software, though not all subscription based software is all web based).

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Seems like more and more stuff gets less intuitive as time goes on.
    And more poorly documented. The software's so capable and there are so many ways to combine things the creator can't keep track of it all. You end up with a small core support team for genuine program issues and everything else is "go watch a youtube on it"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The use of software was originally sold as a servant to help people get things done. I was in on the time when industry started automating processes and a midi frame or a main frame ran an I/O rack that turned on and off things, then controller boards and more sophisticated software could actually control flow and rate as well as a dedicated process operator. It really did get the job done pretty well. It also let process operators stay in the control room on bitter cold days rather than climbing ladders in the storm and adjusting hand wheel stem valves.

These days every step of life seems to be geared to multiple people having to serve the software. Both control software and business software. There does not seem to be any improvement in the operating features of software in the last 30 years. There are multiple layers of hidden statistical data and personal trend tracking software that predictive psychologists can use to manipulate people.

It is probably happening already, but one day, every right and shred of justice will be individually assigned according to some hidden secret algorithms that you will never be able to control or appeal even if it is in error. Your food, clothing, shelter and safety will be used to leverage your compliance to the matrix. The definition of freedom will be the same as the gate over Dachau; "work makes you free". I don't think that definition was found to be correct.
    I see you've used Microsoft Word & Visio.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Like the Ford Lightning electric trucks that are having trouble downloading the software updates? The best and most dependable electric motor controllers are the old analog motor drives with NO software.

Also, I have done poor relief work in several places. I have feed starving people of all ages. I venture that none would say they "own nothing and like it".
    As an embedded software engineer in the trenches, I'll disagree, especially when it comes to "the best".

However, far too often program schedules outweigh good verification, because, "Hey, we'll just release a patch later!"

It's scary how many extremely important things are released with s***ty software.

Reactions: Leo

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm not an IT person, but I designed a user interface using Microsoft InfoPath about 10 years ago for my team to use, with some IT assistance. InfoPath has been really great to use. It's set up like to use kindof like Excel, and it allows a non-programmer like myself to design a complex interactive information-gathering tool that generates professional-looking output views that can be converted to pdf's for distribution/filing. Microsoft has been talking about end-of-life for InfoPath for some years now, since the clunky, old XML structure doesn't work well in the cloud, nor on hand-held devices (or so I am told). The trouble is, I have looked at the alternatives that Microsoft offers and none of them look like they can offer what InfoPath did, which is to allow a non-IT person like myself to build a similarly effective interface (or maybe I'm just too old now to want to learn an entirely new set-up). It makes me wonder if the trend is to get away from software that is geared towards allowing power-users to design and build without actual programming knowledge.

Top Bottom