Is the chrome barrel for the sks worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking at getting a sks but wanted to see what you guys think about the Chinese vs the yugo.

Yugo is normally in better shape less dings in the wood and looks a lot prettier.
    Chinese has the chrome barrel so should last longer but most are in rough shape looks wise so I would guess they have had a hard life.

Wanting the rifle to be a range plinker, maybe SHTF backup and just because I don't have one yet.

Im leaning toward the Chinese because it should last a little longer as long as I find one that's not trashed.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I've had my Yugo for 3 years and clean it after every use. I have no issues with the barrel but it took me a while to get all of the cosmoline out.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A Yugo will also typically have a longer pull (at least the ones I've had), and will fit average western sized people better.
    As to the chrome lined barrel, I would guess it was at least in part to give greater corrosion protection to the bore, as typically the 7.62x39 ammo is corrosive.

I prefer my Yugo, and clean it properly afterwards and have had no trouble.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    Hi
    I have had most SKS have a yugo a Chinese and a rommy right now .
    they all shoot about the same .
    You need to clean after every use so the chrome is not a big deal.
    the yugo tends to be a little heavy because of the grenade launcher and extra sight ladder
    heavier stock
    Just buy the best sks you can find keep it clean
    a Chinese should run you about 350 in good shape

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I'm looking at getting a sks but wanted to see what you guys think about the Chinese vs the yugo.

Yugo is normally in better shape less dings in the wood and looks a lot prettier.
    Chinese has the chrome barrel so should last longer but most are in rough shape looks wise so I would guess they have had a hard life.

Wanting the rifle to be a range plinker, maybe SHTF backup and just because I don't have one yet.

Im leaning toward the Chinese because it should last a little longer as long as I find one that's not trashed.

I dont doubt your experiences are exactly as you say with SKS's, but Ive found the opposite to be true as far as maintenance. Ive seen way more Yugos beat to hell than Chinese. Maybe there has been a better run of Yugos imported lately??:dunno: Ive handled both but always owned Chinese and never had a problem. I like the Chinese because they are lighter and chromed. The Yugos are a hair overbuilt for what they are and the caliber. This makes sense if you want to rearsenal them for years and years, but I see no reason the Chinese ones coudnt handle that also. The best part is, most of the major parts between all of the variants are interchangeable and there is way better aftermarket now. Whichever you get, get the Tech sights for it. They are the first company Ive ever seen to give that rifle exactly what it needs.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Hi
    I have had most SKS have a yugo a Chinese and a rommy right now .
    they all shoot about the same .
    You need to clean after every use so the chrome is not a big deal.
    the yugo tends to be a little heavy because of the grenade launcher and extra sight ladder
    heavier stock
    Just buy the best sks you can find keep it clean
    a Chinese should run you about 350 in good shape

And I can remember when a case of Chinese SKSs wouldcost ya about that much.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would go for the chrome lined one. Corrosion is one factor, but heat is another big one. If you plan on shooting it a lot in a single setting (or if the previous owner has), the throat of the non chrome lined gun will wear out much much faster.

Sheppsan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Agree with some above, chrome should not be a significant factor if you clean routinely after use.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks for all the info guys. I might have to look a little harder for a Chinese.
    You dont have to look hard... classicfirearms just put out an email today that they have them back in stock. Chinese SKS Rifle - Original Military All Milled 7.62 x 39 - Semi-Auto W/ Chrome Lined Barrels C & R Eligible - C&R Eligible and they are running $319.99 These were made BEFORE the vietnam war. Most of the norincos you see around were made later and are usually in better shape. I have one of these chicom sks's that I bought from classicfirearms around 4/5 months ago. I also have a yugo sks that i bought back in 2007 and it was unissued, cost $130 at a gun show. The yugos are pretty. The chicoms are ugly but great shooters. They both shoot well and will have some amount of cosmoline on them unless someone cleaned them off after they were imported into the U.S. and purchased by someone first before you. (2nd U.S. owner).

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You dont have to look hard... classicfirearms just put out an email today that they have them back in stock. Chinese SKS Rifle - Original Military All Milled 7.62 x 39 - Semi-Auto W/ Chrome Lined Barrels C & R Eligible - C&R Eligible and they are running $319.99 These were made BEFORE the vietnam war. Most of the norincos you see around were made later and are usually in better shape. I have one of these chicom sks's that I bought from classicfirearms around 4/5 months ago. I also have a yugo sks that i bought back in 2007 and it was unissued, cost $130 at a gun show. The yugos are pretty. The chicoms are ugly but great shooters. They both shoot well and will have some amount of cosmoline on them unless someone cleaned them off after they were imported into the U.S. and purchased by someone first before you. (2nd U.S. owner).

I got the same email I'm thinking I might just order one and not bother with looking around locally for a deal.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here is my Chinese SKS, and yes my stock was in real bad shape so I put the plastic furniture on it but the action and the barrel etc was in pretty good shape.

And after putting a decent red dot on top here is the target that I used to sight it in:

As you can see i was a little all over the place but that was just the sighting in process. The distance was 75 yards hope that helps you out.

Top Bottom